none
Money 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• My computer operates on Windows 7.  I run Microsoft Money 3.0 on my computer in compatibility mode.  Although it is an old program it works perfectly well and is better for my purposes than some of the later versions of the Money program.  Everything worked well until my computer was automatically updated by Microsoft last Tuesday night (Tuesday 8<sup>th</sup> October 2019).  On Wednesday 9<sup>th</sup> October the Microsoft Money 3.0 would not open. Was there anything in the update that would stop Microsoft Money 3.0 working and what can be done to remedy the situation so that I can still use Microsoft Money 3.0.

Friday, October 11, 2019 10:36 AM

All replies

• As you probably know, Money 3.0 is a 16-bit program and needs to be run in a compatibility mode on a 32-bit version of Windows.  I believe that there are several options in the compatibility settings, and it is possible that the recent update has changed one of these.  So I would check the compatibility settings and, if nothing seems to have changed, try changing the options.

Money 3.0 was released in January 1994 and was the last 16-bit version.  If you want to stay with it and you are comfortable with setting up a virtual machine you could set up XP Mode per this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

Updating to a newer version of Money may also be challenging.  Post back if you want to do that and I'm sure someone will have ideas about how to do the upgrade.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:20 AM
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:18 AM
  • This exact thing happened to me today.  An old version of MS Money that I've relied upon for over a decade, simple and useful.  Now it won't open.  Same thing, updates to Windows 7 now the function is gone.

Is a virtual machine the only option to overcome this problem?

Saturday, October 12, 2019 9:45 PM
  • One remote possibility is that very experienced Windows programmer who is still running 32-bit Windows 7 can figure out what has happened.  Such a person would need you to:

- Verify that the October 8th update caused the problem.  To do this you must uninstall the update and see that Money now opens.

- Provide the KB number of the update that you verified.

It may be that other 16-bit programs are also having trouble after the October 8th update and people have already found a solution.  To search for that you need to have the KB number and be certain that the update caused your problem.

You can, of course, just not reinstall the update if it is verified as the cause of the problem.  This will compromise the security of your system if it is connected to the internet.  Maybe you could use your current computer without an internet connection and purchase a computer (new or used) that runs Windows 10 to use for for web browsing.  Since Windows 7 will be out-of-support and no longer receiving security updates as of 14 January 2020, you may have to purchase a newer system anyway.

Let us know if uninstalling the update allows you to run Money.

Bill Becker

Sunday, October 13, 2019 3:22 AM