Validation Lab, do not want to activate RRS feed

• Question

• I run a large validation lab where we regularly build 150+ clients and run them for days, weeks, or months.  I'd like to avoid dealing with the annoying Windows Activation stuff but so far I can only find nasty hacks for doing this.  Is there some sort of program that would give me keys that could only be used in the presence of a certain key server or something?

A given system (i.e. motherboard) is generally only around my lab for a few months, I often have multiple types of systems.  We build validation images and sometimes we like to re-use the same image for multiple months.  It's a pain to rebuild the entire customized image each time.  I can't be the only one with this type of requirement, is there a white paper or something you could point me to?

So far the only solutions I've found are not optimal
    1) schedule a task (or write a script) that will run slmgr.vbs /rearm once a month
    2) Nasty illegal hacks which I can't use (e.g. BIOS Emulation, hack os files)
    3) Buy Volume keys (costs too much and these systems are for validation only)

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Chad
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Chad,
    So far the only solutions I've found are not optimal
    1) schedule a task (or write a script) that will run slmgr.vbs /rearm once a month
    2) Nasty illegal hacks which I can't use (e.g. BIOS Emulation, hack os files)
    3) Buy Volume keys (costs too much and these systems are for validation only)

Unfortunatly, those are also the only solutions I can think of, as well. (Running a rearm script would probably be the best of the three options)

You may try the MSDN or Technet forums for ideas.  I'm sure you are not the first person to need to do this.  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 25, 2010 10:14 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:14 PM