Two backups RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to get the WHS client to back up to two WHS server?  I'd like it to back up to one local server and one server that is remote.

Perhaps writing a script to install and uninstall the client every night would work?  The WHS remembers the machine after install, and it's possible to programmatically enter the passwords, etc, into the client installer.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:39 PM

Answers

• There's no way to have a client be joined to two servers simultaneously, so the simple case is out.

You can switch a client from one server to another by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe and selecting a different server (among those servers detected on the local network) in the dropdown. But that won't get it to back up automatically to two servers, and I don't think you can script the server choice. So I would have to say that the answer is no, you can only back up to a single server without manual intervention.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Friday, August 21, 2009 1:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alex Barimo Friday, August 21, 2009 1:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Friday, August 21, 2009 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:56 PM