WHS 2011 Clent Computer Backup Fails RRS feed

• Question

• New Dell XPS 8500 with SSD boot disk and 2 TB data disk.  Running Windows 8 Pro.  Both automatic and manual backups to WHS 2011 fail with following error (other computers on network running Windows 7 back up fine):

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Windows Server"
    />
      <EventID
    Qualifiers
    ="53247">514</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>2</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-22T13:07:30.000000000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>40</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>WSSG</Channel>
      <Computer>OfficePC</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>17</Data>
      <Data>CRIDERSERVER11</Data>
      <Data>ClientVssProblem, System.String[]</Data>
      </EventData>

</Event>

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:22 AM

Answers

• Is the system EFI/GPT? You can check in Disk Management by right clicking on the boot drive box on the left - if it says "Convert to MBR" greyed out then you have a GPT partition which WHS can't back up until Microsoft provide the promised fix to WHS.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by jcrider55 Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:05 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:13 PM

All replies

• Is the system EFI/GPT? You can check in Disk Management by right clicking on the boot drive box on the left - if it says "Convert to MBR" greyed out then you have a GPT partition which WHS can't back up until Microsoft provide the promised fix to WHS.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by jcrider55 Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:05 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Thanks for the info as that is the problem.  I had searched and not found this answer before.  Once, again, thanks for the correct answer and we can only hope that Microsoft provides the promised fix soon.

Jim

Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:06 PM
  • I have the same issue, and apparently the disk I'm trying to back up is GPT--when I right-click the left-hand box in disk Management, "Convert to MBR" is indeed greyed out.

Two questions:

1. Why did the disk type change? Before 5/18 of this year, WHS 2011 was able to back up the disk without any problems. After that, no backups, and I get this this ClientVssProblem error. Did something (Windows update, maybe?) change the disk type? (It wasn't anything I did--I was away on vacation when the change apparently happened.)

2. Has Microsoft issued the fix yet? If so, how do I apply it?

Saul

Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:35 PM
  • No, an update will not change your disk format. Try here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919117 and here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Saturday, July 6, 2013 10:18 PM