Better to wait for the .NET 4 certification exams or complete the certification path for .NET 3.5 before those exams come out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've just passed the 70-536 a couple of weeks ago and bought the book to prepare for the 70-562 on ASP.NET 3.5 which I would like to do in 2 month or so.

I've seen online that the exams for .NET 4 are already under development and I wonder what is the best thing to do now.

if I pass the 70-562 and become MCTS .NET 3.5 ASP.NET for example, and the equivalent exams 70-515 is immediately released, what happens to my certification ?

will Microsoft suggest me to do again the equivalent for 70-536 but for .NET 4 and then the 70-515 or having got already 70-536 and 70-562 I will only need to do an upgrade exam ? in this case are the upgrade exam name and information already available.

I'm motivated in doing this certification and it would not be a problem for me to do again, later this or next year a refresh exam which covers also .NET 4 but I would like to understand what are the available options and what is the best way to handle and plan the certification now in such period with .NET 4 going to be released in few days and possibly .NET 3.5 going to be considered outdated and obsolete soon :)

About other exams, WPF, possibly silverlight and WCF I can wait and I will do them directly in .NET 4 when available next year, I'm especially looking forwrard for some exams about silverlight but looks like there are no exams defined yet.

Thanks, Davide.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Davide

Yes the exams are in development for .NET 4 but they are currently in beta and so you can expect them about 8 weeks after the beta closes which is the 30th of April.

Now what happens to your cert when they are released. Nothing at all.. There is no replacement for 70-536 going forward so that is one thing.

So if you pass 70-562 and get your your MCTS it is only 1 exam to get the MCTS on .NET 4 which is 70-515.

If you dont complete 70-562 or decide not to take it, it is still 1 exam for .NET 4

Personally I would be finishing off the MCTS on 3.5 and then doing the MCTS on 4 so that I can say I can cover both technologies. I dont see 3.5 disappearing quickly mainly because SharePoint 2010 uses .NET 3.5 for example and also because .NET 4 uses a different version of the CLR there may be issues for those deciding to update because they will need different app pools to run them side by side rather than before we they could run 2.0 and 3.5 in the same app pool.

There probably wont be exams on Silverlight as their release cycles are too quick for the exams. It takes about 8 months to develop an exam from start to finish and then another 6 for the training materials and based on previous cycles, Silverlight goes to a new version about every 9 to 12 months. So by the time the exam comes for a SilverLight version, it will already be out of date with the product cycle.

Hope that answers your questions

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    • Marked as answer by Davide Piras Friday, April 9, 2010 7:45 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Davide

Yes the exams are in development for .NET 4 but they are currently in beta and so you can expect them about 8 weeks after the beta closes which is the 30th of April.

Now what happens to your cert when they are released. Nothing at all.. There is no replacement for 70-536 going forward so that is one thing.

So if you pass 70-562 and get your your MCTS it is only 1 exam to get the MCTS on .NET 4 which is 70-515.

If you dont complete 70-562 or decide not to take it, it is still 1 exam for .NET 4

Personally I would be finishing off the MCTS on 3.5 and then doing the MCTS on 4 so that I can say I can cover both technologies. I dont see 3.5 disappearing quickly mainly because SharePoint 2010 uses .NET 3.5 for example and also because .NET 4 uses a different version of the CLR there may be issues for those deciding to update because they will need different app pools to run them side by side rather than before we they could run 2.0 and 3.5 in the same app pool.

There probably wont be exams on Silverlight as their release cycles are too quick for the exams. It takes about 8 months to develop an exam from start to finish and then another 6 for the training materials and based on previous cycles, Silverlight goes to a new version about every 9 to 12 months. So by the time the exam comes for a SilverLight version, it will already be out of date with the product cycle.

Hope that answers your questions

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    • Marked as answer by Davide Piras Friday, April 9, 2010 7:45 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Wow, thanks for the fast and extremely helpful explanation Niall,

so I think I will complete the 70-562 for now and do the 70-515 aftewards.

Now it is also clear why there are no exams about SL, funny enough the technology evolves so quick that the guys supposed to prepare the exams can't catch up !

maybe in few more release cycles situation will stabilize a bit and there will be an exam on SL 5 or 6 ;-)

thanks again, Davide.

Friday, April 9, 2010 7:48 AM