Backing Up Windows 8.1 With Legacy WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have the original WHS (not 2011) and was successfully backing up a Windows 8.0 computer using a LOCAL sign-in (not the Microsoft email address account type).  When I went to Windows 8.1, I had password issues with WHS because I had to create a new user account using the new Microsoft account log-in.

Here's an example:  When creating a new Microsoft log-in account that syncs your Windows 8.1 desktops to all computers, I used this format (these are fictitious names):  First name "Joe", Last Name "Dokes", email address:  joedokes@outlook.com.  I made sure the password on the user account matched the username on the WHS account I created.  But it still complained.  I am able to back up the computer no problem, but the log-in into the user directory created on WHS isn't working.  I noticed that WHS would not allow me to set up a user account with the username "joedokes@outlook.com", because it has prohibited characters.  What name is passed from Windows 8.1 to WHS during the log-in: "Joe Dokes" or "joedokes@outlook.com"?  Unlike Windows 7, when you click the start button, you can see the single account name at the top, Windows 8 shows your first and last name followed by your Microsoft email address.  Has anyone solved this issue?

Thanks, 

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:47 AM

Answers

• WHS knows nothing about Microsoft account logins.

The way to deal with this is to create a persistent Windows credential on your client PCs so that users can access server shares.  On Windows 8.1, press Ctrl-W, then type 'Windows Credential' to find the Credential Manager.  Create a new credential for your server using the desired WHS account name and password. Thereafter, Windows will use these credentials when connecting to the server, rather than the credentials of the current user.

On WHS 2011 you would also need to log into the server using the Launchpad app on the client, otherwise whenever Launchpad runs it will overwrite your stored server credentials. I don't believe this is an issue for WHS v1.

• Edited by Gary Voth Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:35 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:43 PM