PowerPack1 WHS Eval Licensing question. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Are we going to be given eval licenses for more than the standard 30 days to test Power Pack 1?   If so, currently all the product keys on connect I used during the beta of Windows Home Server v1.0 are they going to be updated or new keys issued?

Matt

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• AFAIK you can download the 120 day evaluation edition of WHS RTM from Connect. You need to activate it to get the eval period of 120 days.

Sabine

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:03 PM
  •  

Power Pack 1 is an additional component on top of WHS and as such doesnt do anything at all to the evaluation period. You will need to obtain another key if your current one has expired.

Andrew

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:13 PM
  •  R. Ian Lee wrote:

Is it possible to apply a new key without re-installing WHS? How?

Thanks,

Ian

No, sorry.

Andrew

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:01 AM
  • You can request multiple keys from the Connect site.  Each Evaluation key is good for 120 days.  The only reason you will need multiple keys is if you are testing multiple home servers with Power Pack 1, as the goal is to ship Power Pack 1 long before the 120 day evaluation edition expiration notices.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:45 PM

All replies

• AFAIK you can download the 120 day evaluation edition of WHS RTM from Connect. You need to activate it to get the eval period of 120 days.

Sabine

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:03 PM
  • I plan to install WHS on my test/development system, which has recently time-bombed in winver. Will installing PowerPack 1 extend the evaluation period automatically, or will I need to apply for another key from Connect and re-install? My main WHS box has a retail license, but I am hesitant to test PowerPack 1 on my production server.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 8:41 PM
  •  

Power Pack 1 is an additional component on top of WHS and as such doesnt do anything at all to the evaluation period. You will need to obtain another key if your current one has expired.

Andrew

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:13 PM
  • Is it possible to apply a new key without re-installing WHS? How?

Thanks,

Ian

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:30 AM
  •  R. Ian Lee wrote:

Is it possible to apply a new key without re-installing WHS? How?

Thanks,

Ian

No, sorry.

Andrew

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:01 AM
  • Still haven't answered the question I posted.   Are we getting some new product keys,  this reinstall after 30 days is going to likely run out before this testing finishes.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:43 PM
  • You can request multiple keys from the Connect site.  Each Evaluation key is good for 120 days.  The only reason you will need multiple keys is if you are testing multiple home servers with Power Pack 1, as the goal is to ship Power Pack 1 long before the 120 day evaluation edition expiration notices.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:45 PM