Cant Stop Pop-Ups And Phony Anti-Virus Program RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have had pop-ups on my computer for several days now. They appear even when I am not on the Internet. One appears to be dangerous and claims to be an Internet Explorer anti-virus program. It starts when a panel appears telling me I should run a free anti-virus program, I get rid of both without complying with the request.

I have no idea how I received the infection that is causing this, it has the ability to turn off the automatic updates in the services, and changes the One Care balloon red, turning the automatic updates on in One Care does not turn them on in services, I have to go to services and do it manually.

When I first had the pop-ups I ran the One Care virus scan, it found nothing. I used the One Care cleaner from your web site suspecting my One Care was not up to date, it found three items, one of which it did not remove or quarantine, JS/Xilos.

I went to the McAfee web site and ran their free cleaner, it found: Adware-MediaTickets and JS/Zerolin.emi. I could not clean them because the program required purchasing to do this.

I also went back one month with the restore wizard in Windows XP, still had the pop-ups and bogus anti virus program. Also did the following: removed One Care and installed another copy from you web site, ran One Care clean-up, which removed One Care once again, installed another fresh copy from your web site. I still have the pop-ups and phony anti-virus program. Need Help ASAP.

Terence Horton.

wacker@kc.rr.com

• Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:32 PM virus problem (Moved from Windows Live OneCare General to Windows Live OneCare Anti-Virus)
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:06 AM

Answers