Back Up Problems - Won't burn on blank DVDs??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and Good Evening,

I just ran into this problem for the first time with Windows Live OneCare.  Received an alert from the program  that I needed to back up my current and/or new files.

Took the time to organize/remove files in my C: drive that I didn't need to prevent it being copied during the back up process.  Anyway, I clicked on the "Start Backup" Button, and waited for the program to scan the computer.

Told me how much was going to be backed up and how many CD / DVDs I would need for the backup (Good feature I might add).

Loaded a BLANK Memorex DVD+RW and clicked the "Start backup" button again.  Recommended me to turn off Windows Back Up (Which I did because it would take forever trying to back up using that option.....I have tried already) and clicked "Next".

I then get a message stating "Insert Another Disk - The disk in your drive contains data.  Replace it with a blank recordable disk".......What????

Please help me with this issue so that I can save all my data before something else goes wrong

Regards,

Angry Computer Guy
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:42 AM

Answers

• If the RW disc was used before and erased, OneCare will surely balk. If it is a fresh RW disc, OneCare sometimes complains. My recommendation is to pick up the much cheaper R discs and avoid RW discs - they can pose compatibility problems and are not as reliable in the long run due to the way they are written to. It *is* a OneCare problem, by they way, in that it should write to these discs fine, but it doesn't. :-(

If you want to stop seeing the annoying alert in yellow status before you've had a chance to get some new blank discs to try, disable backup for now and then come back to the backup settings when you're ready to try again. You can always copy your most important files to the RW discs manually using Windows Explorer in the meantime. Just copy and paste the files from the hard drive folders to the CD Drive icon and Windows will prompt you that there are files waiting to be written to disc.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:34 PM

All replies

• If the RW disc was used before and erased, OneCare will surely balk. If it is a fresh RW disc, OneCare sometimes complains. My recommendation is to pick up the much cheaper R discs and avoid RW discs - they can pose compatibility problems and are not as reliable in the long run due to the way they are written to. It *is* a OneCare problem, by they way, in that it should write to these discs fine, but it doesn't. :-(

If you want to stop seeing the annoying alert in yellow status before you've had a chance to get some new blank discs to try, disable backup for now and then come back to the backup settings when you're ready to try again. You can always copy your most important files to the RW discs manually using Windows Explorer in the meantime. Just copy and paste the files from the hard drive folders to the CD Drive icon and Windows will prompt you that there are files waiting to be written to disc.
    -steve

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Hey Steve.

Thanks for the update.  I'll switch to DVD+R to see if their is any difference and if OneCare will finally start responding to the new set of DVD+R rather then DVD+RW.

I'm a little less angry now..... :)

Regards,

(Somewhat) Angry Computer Guy
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:40 PM
  • I'll remain hopeful for you. :-) Please do report back how it goes.
    -steve
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:55 PM