Importing Organization -> User IDs change, breaking custom views RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to copy my CRM implementation to a backup server temporarily for a Business Continuity Exercise.  We back up the organization database, restore to the standby server (which runs SQL Server, Reporting Services and CRM), and we import the organization, using a user mapping file to map the users to new domain users at our backup location.  (Note:  the domain itself does not change.)

We noticed after doing this, apparently successfully, that the filter criteria on some custom views do not work.  It appears they reference invalid users.  When we recreate the filter criteria, they are fine.  Checking in the database, we see that the User IDs (the GUIDs) have changed.

1) Are we going about this the right way?  We are following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952934, under "Redeploy the Microsoft Dynamics CRM deployment that includes the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server within the same domain or to another domain."

2) If so, how do we prevent the User IDs from changing?

3) If the user ID change is inevitable, how do we fix the filters on the custom views without having to do it manually.

Appreciate any help.

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Go into settings, then Customization. Export all customizations. Put the XML file it generates in a location where your new deployment can access it. On the new deployment, go to settings and customization again. This time import all customizations.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Thanks.  Good suggestion, but the filter criteria in the custom views still refer to invalid user IDs.  Didn't help.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hi Bernardo,

Is the domain the same?  If so, can you leave users as is and select the option to not remap users?  We have seem this issue before and it appears to happen when users are remaped.  We did not find a workaround when we last researched it.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:00 PM
  • I got the same problem and the olny solution was to export, replace old IDs with new IDs...

It is really a huge porblem with redeployments...

The same problem occurs with workflows that reference explicitly users...

Because the redeployment don't look into text column to replace old IDs with new IDs...

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, May 28, 2010 5:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:00 PM
  • A non-supported method is to write tsql query to replace the ids.....we have done this sucessfuly in a test environment, but never in production.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Yes, it should work, except for Workflows definitions as it is base64 encoded...
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, May 28, 2010 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  It seems to me that this is a major design hole.  As soon as I move my deployment to another server using the recommended method, all of the filters in my custom views and all of my workflows that reference explicit users are corrupted.

I am game to try to update all of the user IDs in SystemUserBase to their original values, but they must be referenced all over the place in groups, teams, accounts, leads etc.  isn't this a very messy update?  (Hey, I'll bet that will void my warranty ;)

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:04 PM