Microsoft Word 2003 message: This copy of Office is not genuine. Click here to learn more on line RRS feed

• Question

• I have attached the message thread from OmniTechSupport detailing their scam to fix a Microsoft problem

tony [09:40]: Welcome to OmniTech Support. We will be offering you 15 minutes of free chat support for Microsoft Office products. We’ve been solving more than 50% of the issues during these free periods. If your particular issue is more complex and can’t be fully resolved within the free 15 minutes, then we will have to charge you to resolve the issue in those cases. I am reviewing your issue now.

Barry Mandell [09:40]: last week I started receiving message:

This copy of Office is not genuine. Click here to learn more online. What is this?? Since then I have corrupted word document files.

tony [09:40]: Hi Barry.This is Tony.

[09:41]: May I know the Office version that you are using?

Barry Mandell [09:41]: hello, however since this is a microsoft instigated issue I will not pay for resolution

[09:42]: Vista

[09:43]: Oh, sorry microsoft word that came with the computor

tony [09:43]: To make the best use of our time, the best way for me to fully diagnose your issue is to let me see the issue inside your computer. May I go ahead?

Barry Mandell [09:43]: yes

tony [09:44]: Thank you for allowing me to access your computer.

[09:45]: Could you please close all the opened windows except this chat window?

Barry Mandell [09:45]: done

tony [09:46]: Please open a new Internet explorer window.

[09:46]: Please type the below text in the address bar and press ENTER.

[09:46]: www.logmein123.com

Barry Mandell [09:46]: ok

tony [09:48]: Once the web page is opened, please enter this PIN code "151196" and click on “Connect to technician”.

[09:49]: Please download the applet and click on “Run”.

[09:49]: Please click on “Yes” or “Always” or “Run”, when prompted.

Barry Mandell [09:49]: ok

tony [09:49]: Please continue to chat from this window without closing it.

[09:51]: I am able to view your screen. Can you please show me the exact issue you are facing?

Barry Mandell [09:52]: The message is below the File tab

tony [09:52]: Okay, thank you for the information.

[09:58]: I am working on this issue and would require around 20-30 minutes more to completely fix this issue.

Barry Mandell [09:59]: ok

tony [09:59]: While I’m doing that, I would like to tell you about our System Uptime Assurance Plans that we currently offer.

[09:59]: By the way, if you choose one of our System Uptime Assurance Plans you can get this issue resolved for FREE no matter how long it takes.

Barry Mandell [10:00]: go ahead

tony [10:00]: It seems that your computer is a little slow. When did you last optimize your computer?

Barry Mandell [10:00]: it has been a couple of months

[10:01]: are you working on the problem now?

tony [10:01]: Yes.

[10:01]: Barry, every computer needs to be optimized regularly so that the system works at its peak speed.

[10:02]: Our pre-emptive System Uptime Assurance process includes 15 globally accepted steps.

[10:02]: This would optimize your computer's performance and greatly reduce the chances of crashing or files from being corrupted.

Barry Mandell [10:02]: I can do that my self

tony [10:03]: That's great! Could you please mention the steps that you perform during the system optimization?

Barry Mandell [10:04]: tony, I have to be away from the computer for a bathroom break.

tony [10:06]: Okay, let me explain about our plan it will take another 2 minute more.

Barry Mandell [10:14]: i comp[lete disc clean-up & defragmentation then download any suggested diagnostics from microsoft word help. i'm sure that i do not want to purchase a plan

tony [10:15]: Barry, disc clean up and defragmentation are only part of our 15 globally accepted steps for System Optimization.

Barry Mandell [10:16]: what has this to do with fixing a problem that is a microsoft issue??????

[10:17]: I appreciatre you help and concern, but i am not purchasing a plan

tony [10:17]: Barry, please understand that we are OmniTech Support an independent service providers for all Microsoft Products and all computer related issues.

Barry Mandell [10:19]: Tony, I just want the microsoft instigated bug fixed, this is not a issue I am responsible for.

[10:20]: Are we just about finish with the fix, I have a customer waiting for me

tony [10:21]: Okay. If you are not interested in the System Uptime Assurance Plan, you can pay just $34.95 and get this issue resolved right away.

Barry Mandell [10:23]: I have no intention in paying for a Microsoft Word Problem that is a result of them entering my software

tony [10:24]: Barry, please understand that we are not Microsoft, we are OmniTech Support an independent service providers for all Microsoft Products and all computer related issues.

[10:25]: The charge is to only continue working on the issue.

Barry Mandell [10:25]: I resentthe pretense of your fixing the problem by keeping me on line for this amount of time just to sell me an assurance plan

tony [10:25]: I will resolve this issue surely for you.

Barry Mandell [10:26]: I feel that I am being scammed and fully inted to communicate this message stream to Microsoft

tony [10:27]: Barry, please let me keep you informed that the free chat session of 15 minutes is spent already on working over the issue.

[10:28]: There is a nominal charge of $34.95 to continue working on the issue.

Barry Mandell [10:28]: yes and you have spent the next 47:40 minutes not working on fixing the problem

11:49 AM  Connecting to Rescue Website:
    www02-07.logmeinrescue.com…

11:49 AM  Connected to Rescue Website. A support representative will be with you shortly.

11:49 AM  Support session established with Tech 5.

11:49 AM  Tech 5 would like to start an operation which requires an applet to be downloaded. Download Applet

11:50 AM  Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app51.logmeinrescue.com...

11:50 AM  Connected to Rescue Gateway.

11:51 AM  Remote Control started by Tech 5.

12:37 PM  You have ended the session.

WHERE CAN I GO TO GET THIS RESOLVED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. 

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, November 9, 2009 10:33 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:58 PM

Answers

• Hello mosbylucy,

Please post your Office Genuine Advantage-related problem in the Office section of this forum.  Here is the link to the Office section:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineoffice/threads

When you do post, please follow these instructions:
    In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

Thank You!

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 13, 2009 9:21 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hello mosbylucy,

Please post your Office Genuine Advantage-related problem in the Office section of this forum.  Here is the link to the Office section:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineoffice/threads

When you do post, please follow these instructions:
    In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

Thank You!

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 13, 2009 9:21 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:05 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Posted question is assumed to have been resolved.

Darin MS
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:21 PM