WHS 's compatibility with Vista Ultimate 64 bits RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've installed WHS on one of my home computers but when I want to add my computer (vista Ultimate 64 bits) to the network, the connector software indicates that it is not compatible. Is there a solution  to my problem ?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:31 PM

Answers

• Ghislain,

WHS doesn't ship with software for 64bit computers. However, there is a Power Pack available to download via the Microsoft Connect site, (you need to register to download). This is in fact, a beta product, but in general appear to be very stable and numerous people on here have used the Connector software to enable their 64bit Vista machines.

However, do read the accompanying documentation, as if you cannot meet the data requirements - ie loose your data IF a problem did occur - then you would be better waiting for the final release of the Power Pack, which shouldn't be too long - hopefully!

Colin

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:38 PM
  • There is not a connector for 64-bit Windows. It will be introduced in Powerpack 1, which is now being tested in a public beta. As Microsoft warns, install the beta at your own risk.

EDIT: oops, ColinWH posted just before me. Oh well Smile
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

• Ghislain,

WHS doesn't ship with software for 64bit computers. However, there is a Power Pack available to download via the Microsoft Connect site, (you need to register to download). This is in fact, a beta product, but in general appear to be very stable and numerous people on here have used the Connector software to enable their 64bit Vista machines.

However, do read the accompanying documentation, as if you cannot meet the data requirements - ie loose your data IF a problem did occur - then you would be better waiting for the final release of the Power Pack, which shouldn't be too long - hopefully!

Colin

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:38 PM
  • There is not a connector for 64-bit Windows. It will be introduced in Powerpack 1, which is now being tested in a public beta. As Microsoft warns, install the beta at your own risk.

EDIT: oops, ColinWH posted just before me. Oh well Smile
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:39 PM
  • I've been running the connector on a Vista Ultimate 64bit machine since the Power pack came out and have found it very stable and performing better than before. It does throw some complaints on initial install about orphaned files and structure errors on the WHS shares, but this is because it has a more comprehensive error scan than previously used.

Based on the known data corruption bugs on WHS which now seem to be cured with Power Pack 1, I would say the risks of upgrading to the beta were less than the risks of staying with the earlier release version.

Friday, July 4, 2008 3:11 AM
  • How did you succeed installing the connector software on the 64 bits Windows Ultimate computer ?

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:48 PM
  • I did it, I succeeded installing the 64 bits WHS connector software which was on the home server directory. Thanks anyway, I'll keep reading this forum because it's very informative.

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:49 PM