Backup Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2T drive in the Windows Home Server. Can I not backup to this main drive? This is my first attempt to use Windows Home Server and it comes a a surprise to me that an additional "EXTERNAL hard drive" is required for backup.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:32 PM

All replies

• Do you mean back up Clients to the main server disk - if so, the answer is "Yes you can". However, if you mean backing up the server, then no you can't back up the server to the same disk the server is running on - that would not be a very good backup philosophy. So it is recommended that you back up the server to an external drive and for additional security use a second drive (which you switch with the first external drive) and take the first to a safe location offsite to prevent damage due to fire, flood, theft etc.

I suggest you need to do some more reading here:

Online Help

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Phil, I think that is exactly the confusion I had. I was thinking of backup of the CLIENT, and the window which confused me was speaking of the SERVER. Thank you for your help. As I said, this is my first attempt to use Windows Home Server. I built the machine from parts left over from my last "rebuild" of my main computer, plus the additional parts I had to purchase. I just got it up and running--an achievement for a 79 year old!
    David Williamson
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:52 PM
  • David, Glad to be of service. I have a few years on you, but as they say you are only as old as you feel. One comment, if you are using older hardware (particularly hard disks, which will inevitable be less reliable) make sure you have a good backup strategy and consider replacing disks in advance of their inevitable failure.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:07 PM Spelling
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Thanks again, Phil, in fact my hard drives are all new in this setup. I have a 120 SSD and a 1 T hard drive on my main computer, and a 2 T on my "new" server. One reason for all these upgrades was a move from XP Pro 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit (on my main computer). All seems to be working well, though I am still finding my way in Windows Home Server 11--need a good manual.
    David Williamson
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:37 PM