none
How can I unpropose the answer? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

If i wrongly proposed a reply as answer then What I have to do to unpropose it?

Thanks, Karguvel
    Monday, June 28, 2010 12:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Step 1.  Edit your profile screen-name to something that won't be connected with you.

Step 2.  Get a new Live-ID and create a new profile.

Step 3.  When an angry moderator begins deleting or tagging all your posts Abusive, respond by marking the remaining ones Proposed Answer.

You un-Proposed me.    Very instructive demonstration.    But why couldn't I do that?

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:29 PM
  • You can't. Only a Moderator can Unpropose an Answer.
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums Italy
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Monday, June 28, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I think it is better, if members have rights to unpropse  their own proposed answers. Otherwise every time Moderator has to do it.

Thanks, Karguvel
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:14 AM
  • I think it is better, if members have rights to unpropse  their own proposed answers. Otherwise every time Moderator has to do it.

Thanks, Karguvel

I agree too.
    LEARN HOW WPF IS FLEXIBLE IN PRESENTATION DURING A QUICK SIMPLE WALKTHROUGH:
    Walkthrough: Displaying multi column ComboBox by using Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) data templating
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:28 AM

Which begs the question, why can a Moderator do that?   The Member has gone on record stating his opinion (that something is an answer).
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:01 PM
    And (sorry, my bad) the OP, Original Poster.

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums Italy
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:53 PM
  • why can a Moderator do that?   The Member has gone on record stating his opinion (that something is an answer

It's his opinion. 

The Moderator is there to decide whether the answer is in fact an answer.

At least half the "propose as answer" marks are assigned by the guy who wrote the post within seconds of posting it. There is no response in those few seconds from the OP saying that this really is an answer to his question. Most of the time such self-proposing are more an indication of the arrogance level of the poster ("*I* posted it so it must be an (and the best) answer") than of being an answer which satisfies the original poster.

Much better to wait until someone else (a "neutral") proposes the post as that is a good indication that the post really is a good answer. However even then the Moderator should be allowed to un-propose the post as even if confirmed by a second poster, it may still not be an answer to the actual question of the original poster (which is what the Answer mark is supposed to indicate).

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 4:19 AM
  • why can a Moderator do that?   The Member has gone on record stating his opinion (that something is an answer

It's his opinion. 

The Moderator is there to decide whether the answer is in fact an answer.

Yes, It's his opinion.  And it's useful for the rest of us to know that about him.

So, either permit him to express it with the Propose button, or get rid of that option altogether.  But don't play God with it.  And why is it that only one person can mark a post Proposed Answer?  Shouldn't everybody who agrees also be able to make their mark?  If all their names footmarked that post, we'd get a better idea of the value of that Proposal.

Friday, July 2, 2010 10:45 PM
  • What if I just hit propose as answer accidently? It would be very nice if I can wink at it and feel relax that someone will come and un propose it. Not a good idea though.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:46 PM
  • The responsibility of marking something as the answer should rest solely with the OP. People are just going through and marking stuff as proposed answer without fully analyzing the suggestion. They are just clicking the button like a small child in an elevator. It's annoying.
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:16 PM
  • The responsibility of marking something as the answer should rest solely with the OP. People are just going through and marking stuff as proposed answer without fully analyzing the suggestion. They are just clicking the button like a small child in an elevator. It's annoying.

I will agree that I dislike self-proposers, but proposing an answer doesn't mark it as one. That's left for the OP. If the OP abandons the thread (which happens more often than not), a moderator will propose an answer and then mark it if the OP doesn't bother to return.

Also, the original question was about unproposing an answer that you've marked, not someone else. We have the ability to unpropose answers that we've previously proposed*.

* Caveat - I only recently got this ability. My account must have had some strange configuration. I could propose an answer, but the unpropose link would disappear after I refreshed the page. This is not common though, and I'm not sure if anyone else ever had that problem.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,700+ strong and growing)

Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:27 PM
  • BTW, unmarking and unproposing answers currently doesn't seem to work. Once I proposed an answer, I can not unpropose it.

This is a new bug and I hope that forum's team will solve it soon.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:22 PM