Fresh load of Windows Home Server is unresponsive after a couple of hours RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom box with OEM Home Server onit. When I first built and installed it, it worked great. Then I decided to experiment with it. So that was a failed effort I reinstalled a fresh OS after formatting everything. The only thing i have on the server is Avast AV and Diskeeper.

I have also move the partition for the OS side (C) and made it bigger (200Gig). I move partitions immediately after the OS install, then I added drivers and software.

Where do I Start???

Shane
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:30 PM

Answers

• I have a custom box with OEM Home Server onit. When I first built and installed it, it worked great. Then I decided to experiment with it. So that was a failed effort I reinstalled a fresh OS after formatting everything. The only thing i have on the server is Avast AV and Diskeeper.

I have also move the partition for the OS side (C) and made it bigger (200Gig). I move partitions immediately after the OS install, then I added drivers and software.

Where do I Start???

Shane
    Expanding the OS partition is unsupported.  You should start by doing a New Installation and leaving the OS partition at 20 GB.  Also, FYI, installing any applications on the server is unsupported (as is logging into the server desktop for any reason).
    • Marked as answer by Televerge Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:16 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Just an FYI to all.

Diskeeper for WHS was the culprit.

Regards,

Shane
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:34 PM

All replies

Where do I Start???

Shane
    Expanding the OS partition is unsupported.  You should start by doing a New Installation and leaving the OS partition at 20 GB.  Also, FYI, installing any applications on the server is unsupported (as is logging into the server desktop for any reason).
    • Marked as answer by Televerge Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:16 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Is there a future plan to allow the OS partion bigger than 20GB the origional problem is the it fills up quickly and then locks up.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Is there a future plan to allow the OS partion bigger than 20GB the origional problem is the it fills up quickly and then locks up.
    Microsoft has not made any announcements about making any changes to the OS partition (and I don't see it ever happening in this version of WHS).  However, the OS partition should not be filling up like that (I installed mine 2 1/2 years ago and I have 11.7 GB free as we speak).  Have you looked to see what's filling it up (log files growing exponentially, perhaps)?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Had a simular thing.
    The OS partition was almost full.
    Do a disk cleanup, for me i had 8 Gb free again.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:53 PM
  • will do. reinstalling fresh now.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:18 PM
  • OK,

Server is loaded on 20GB partition. was running fine until i started to move data to my share folders. they transfers lockup after 30-50% of completion. then i have to reboot the server and then resume transfer.

what am i overlooking???

Shane
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:10 PM
  • i used Diskeeper to do that. everthing checks fine but i pulled a 1TB Western Digital (thier stuff usually blows up on me) and removed it from the console.

I dont understand your second question as to :what are teh component numbers in the Console?
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:33 PM
  • In the Windows Home Server Console go to Settings then Resources.  You will then see a textbox with information like the following:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

We can then confirm if you have the latest power pack installed - PP3.

Can I just check you are creating your shares in the console and not using remote desktop to add shares?

--
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

is what i pulled from the screen PP3 is installed.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Just an FYI to all.

Diskeeper for WHS was the culprit.

Regards,

Shane
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:34 PM
  • so i thought. it stll becomes unresponsive after a couple hours now...........
    Monday, March 1, 2010 1:22 AM