gateway/emachine motherboard upgrade=can not validate!!!!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• my motherboard died so instead of sending it in to emachine and waiting 3 weeks for my computer...I can not afford to be without my pc for this amount of time!....  I go buy a new motherboard.  did the factory restore that is preinstalled on my hd...i didnt get a cd.  i tried to validate but it says invalid PID. my xp wont validate and is going to expire in 30 days.  i have spent an hour and a half with your tech support and emachine tech support no one can seem to help me the last time i RMA'd my pc they changed cases...this means i no longer have the little cert of auth.  how can i validate my copy of xp WITHOUT paying $99.  I'm not trying to pull a fast one or get out of buy some of microsoft's stuff I know they need the money....stop laughing.  I use my pc for fun and most important MY JOB!!!  I need help with this please respond dstapp@gmail.com if you prefer email me and i will send my phone # for you to call.  I would prefer someone to talk to without a hard to unerstand indian accent also not to be rude but i could barely understand the last guy.

it is TOTALLY unfair to charge someone twice for xp. I paid for it when i bought this system and refuse to pay again!  this is the info generated by the program thingy.  system manufactuerer is actually emachines ie gateway. 

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    Activation Status Activation Pending (30 days remaining)
    System Name YOUR-075E1B6135
    System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
    System Model KT880-8237
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1992 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 3/21/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name YOUR-075E1B6135\Owner
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 595.20 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.40 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Sunday, August 6, 2006 10:52 PM

Answers

• Unhappy customer,

Looking at the diagnostics data, you have yet to activate windows. Activation, and validation are two totally different things. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that what I said in my last post does apply, but you can attempt to call MS to activate. If you are not able to do that, you only have two options... Get a replacement motherboard directly from your computer's manufactuer, or Purchase a retail copy of XP.

I do apologize if these are not the solutions that you were hoping for.

Monday, August 7, 2006 3:56 PM
  • It is true that one cannot transfer an OEM license to a new machine, but the purpose of that restriction is not to prevent end users from having a malfunctioning computer repaired, and I don't understand why some people choose to interpret it that way.  The purpose of that restriction is to prevent unscrupulous system builders from offering to peel the license sticker from the case and reuse it, or simply build a new computer in the existing case to "save the cost" of a new license.  However, you will notice that this clause in the license agreement does give the consumer one "out", which is that one may replace a defective motherboard with another one of similar specifications, and still preserve their license.  It is only if a motherboard is replaced to obtain a "performance upgrade" that a new license is required.

The idea that one must pay the manufacturer's grossly inflated price to puchase an exact replacement board that's just going to fail again is ludicrous.  Many E-Machines computers have a known design problem where poor quality capacitors on the motherboard start swelling and leaking, causing system crashes, random reboots, lockups, and eventually failure to boot up.  Do you seriously think that a rational person would want an exact replacement board, even if one could be obtained at a fair price?  Of course not.  With the hassle and inconvenience of downtime, lost data, and so on, any rational person would want their computer fixed so it would not break down again.

Therefore, one would go to a local or online reseller and purchase a micro-ATX board that uses the same CPU socket, memory type, and so on, and move all the components from the failed board to the new one.  Or they'd take it to a repair shop and pay a technician to do it for them.  In either case, we can all agree that it is not a "new computer" requiring a new license, but rather the same computer being repaired with a new motherboard.

Now it is true that the "restore partition" or "product recovery" disc(s) might not work with a different motherboard, but that in and of itself does not destroy the license.  Personally, I would just use a different Windows XP disc to reformat the hard disk and do the reinstallation, and use the Product Key on the back of the computer's case.  Then when the online validation fails, I'd to a telephone activation, tell the operator the truth that I replaced a failed motherboard with a similar replacement board, and get it approved.

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 12:30 AM

All replies

• Many major PC manufacturers use "System Locked Pre-installation," or SLP. eMachine uses this technology. SLP uses information stored in an OEM PC's BIOS to protect the installation from casual piracy. When installing a eMachine OEM version of Windows XP, the eMachine CD compares the PC's BIOS to the SLP information. If it matches, Product Activation will succeed. If it does not match, Product Activation will fail. Using a new Product Key will also fail because the eMachine BIOS does not exist with a non-eMachine motherboard.

You'll need to purchase a new "Full Version" copy of Windows XP and perform a "repair install". The OEM Windows XP license that originally came with your eMachine PC is no longer valid with a non-eMachine motherboard.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm  

Sunday, August 6, 2006 11:04 PM
  • that is unacceptable.  i will get a solution to this problem that does NOT include me spending $100 for software that I already have there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Monday, August 7, 2006 12:02 AM
  • Contact eMachine and order an eMachine replacement motherboard.
    Monday, August 7, 2006 12:20 AM
  • i will deal with microsoft on this matter so go post your comments somewere else.  it clearly states you are not employeed by microsoft.
    Monday, August 7, 2006 12:23 AM
  • this whole thing to me if compaired to a car would be this.  If your engines blows up and you replace it with a new one of a different typle then you cant drive your car that is so unpratical!
    Monday, August 7, 2006 1:37 AM
  • The computer control module in a car is programmed to only function with a specific engine.

If you were to install a different engine, you would need to purchase a new control module

designed to function with that specific engine.

Monday, August 7, 2006 2:14 AM
  • ok as long as we are comparing microsoft to cars lets see.

if you had to restart your car at stoplight.......if your car was fairly new you would be mad if you had to put in a new engine. and control module cause the old one wont support the new engine.  After 6 months your car is worth almost nothing because the new cars are twice as fast.  so you would have to buy another new engine and control modules to keep up with the other cars every 6 months.  After you own your car for a few years like 5 they no longer work on it period.  You have to buy a totally new car and start the whole process over.  Now smarty how do you like them apples.  not to mention the new control module costs 1/10 of the engine.  a new copy of xp is 3 times the price of my motherboard.  I was just trying to make a comparison...which if the automotive industry did cars the way computers are done we would all be walking pretty quick.....not counting the big dogs making 6 figures a year.  I am not one of those guys I am just an average joe trying to make it in a world were gas is $3 a gallon.

Monday, August 7, 2006 2:24 AM
  • If the engine in my 8 year old Ford Ranger were to fail, I would purchase a rebuilt Ford engine of the same model.

Monday, August 7, 2006 2:36 AM
  • no remember the rules arent the same.  the company who makes that motor stopped 3 years ago so you would have to upgrade.  They dont make my mb anymore...they dont even make the one I purchased.  So there should be a logical solution to my problem other than buy another copy of xp when it is hard coded into a protected partion on my hard drive.
    Monday, August 7, 2006 2:52 AM
  • Let us assume a person wishes to marry another person.  In order to do so, a marriage license must be optained.  After one year of happy wedded bliss, one sponse suddenly passes away.  The surviving spouse, after mourning the loss of his/her spouse, meets and wishes to wed another person.  In order to do so, a new marriage license must be obtained.  Is there a credit for the first marriage license?  No!  Same analogy applies to an OEM Windows license when a motherboard passes away..."till death due us part".
    Monday, August 7, 2006 3:08 AM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:
    Let us assume a person wishes to marry another person.  In order to do so, a marriage license must be optained.  After one year of happy wedded bliss, one sponse suddenly passes away.  The surviving spouse, after mourning the loss of his/her spouse, meets and wishes to wed another person.  In order to do so, a new marriage license must be obtained.  Is there a credit for the first marriage license?  No!  Same analogy applies to an OEM Windows license when a motherboard passes away..."till death due us part".

I didnt get a new wife/computer....she/it just had to get a heart transplant/motherboard so no license should be required.

Monday, August 7, 2006 3:11 AM
  • The motherboard is considered the "heart and soul" of a computer.  If your eMachine motherboard died, so did the eMachine OEM Windows XP license it was associated with...may it rest forever in cyber-peace.
    Monday, August 7, 2006 3:26 AM
  • Unhappy Customer,

The previous posts in this thread are correct, when it comes to an OEM/SLP copy of Windows. These copies are modified by the manufactuer  of the computer to make sure that the "EMachines" version of windows that you have, will ONLY work on "EMachine" computers. That issue has nothing to do with MS. It is more an issue I suggest you bring up with you comptuer's manufactuer. but before I give you an asnwer can you do this for me please:

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Thanks,

Monday, August 7, 2006 2:26 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J8BM6-MXPH6-3R2BW
    Windows Product Key Hash: YMRVitCEjlJfwDQfjDvm97FbWA4=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00103
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: MHTQV9C
    ID: e1a3f104-0c1d-4bb9-b366-b43aaddc3f15
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    Cache refresh Interval: 260 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>e1a3f104-0c1d-4bb9-b366-b43aaddc3f15</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3R2BW</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00103</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2439067448-611241691-2754138492</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>KT880-8237</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050321000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Gateway,Gateway,Gateway,Gateway</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>C975386F0184206F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, August 7, 2006 3:13 PM
  • Unhappy customer,

Looking at the diagnostics data, you have yet to activate windows. Activation, and validation are two totally different things. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that what I said in my last post does apply, but you can attempt to call MS to activate. If you are not able to do that, you only have two options... Get a replacement motherboard directly from your computer's manufactuer, or Purchase a retail copy of XP.

I do apologize if these are not the solutions that you were hoping for.

Monday, August 7, 2006 3:56 PM
  • Unhappy,

May I suggest that you RMA the computer so that the manufacturer can install a replacement motherboard?  Doing this will not cost you any $$$ assuming that it is still under warranty.

Carey and others have tried to explain that the license for XP that came with your computer has certain limitations.  When you puchased the computer and agreed to the End User Licensing Agreement, you agreed to the terms that you now seem to be having trouble with.  One of the major limitations of the license (as compared to the more liberal and more expensive full retail license) that helps to keep its price down is that the license is only good on the computer it was first installed on.  Since the license is tied to the computer (and to define what a computer is, since they are just a collection of parts, MS has established that the motheboard is the base component), you cannot use the license on any other computer.  Therefore, in order to maintain the license, you have to keep using the manufacturer's motherboard.

Monday, August 7, 2006 5:09 PM
  • GOD BLESS THE NICE LADY AT MICROSOFT TECH SUPPORT SHE TOOK CARE OF THE ISSUE FOR ME!!!  To those who are having problems contacting tech support may help.  I take back anything bad I said about microsoft only because of the nice people I dealt with today.  This does not change my opinion of some of the people that say they are "helping" here.
    Tuesday, August 8, 2006 9:22 PM
  • It is true that one cannot transfer an OEM license to a new machine, but the purpose of that restriction is not to prevent end users from having a malfunctioning computer repaired, and I don't understand why some people choose to interpret it that way.  The purpose of that restriction is to prevent unscrupulous system builders from offering to peel the license sticker from the case and reuse it, or simply build a new computer in the existing case to "save the cost" of a new license.  However, you will notice that this clause in the license agreement does give the consumer one "out", which is that one may replace a defective motherboard with another one of similar specifications, and still preserve their license.  It is only if a motherboard is replaced to obtain a "performance upgrade" that a new license is required.

The idea that one must pay the manufacturer's grossly inflated price to puchase an exact replacement board that's just going to fail again is ludicrous.  Many E-Machines computers have a known design problem where poor quality capacitors on the motherboard start swelling and leaking, causing system crashes, random reboots, lockups, and eventually failure to boot up.  Do you seriously think that a rational person would want an exact replacement board, even if one could be obtained at a fair price?  Of course not.  With the hassle and inconvenience of downtime, lost data, and so on, any rational person would want their computer fixed so it would not break down again.

Therefore, one would go to a local or online reseller and purchase a micro-ATX board that uses the same CPU socket, memory type, and so on, and move all the components from the failed board to the new one.  Or they'd take it to a repair shop and pay a technician to do it for them.  In either case, we can all agree that it is not a "new computer" requiring a new license, but rather the same computer being repaired with a new motherboard.

Now it is true that the "restore partition" or "product recovery" disc(s) might not work with a different motherboard, but that in and of itself does not destroy the license.  Personally, I would just use a different Windows XP disc to reformat the hard disk and do the reinstallation, and use the Product Key on the back of the computer's case.  Then when the online validation fails, I'd to a telephone activation, tell the operator the truth that I replaced a failed motherboard with a similar replacement board, and get it approved.

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 12:30 AM
  • Microsoft took care of me and the problem so no further help is needed....
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 5:07 AM
  • This is true and duely noted to the cust serv supervisor, tech support supervisor, and i sent an email to ben hinge who once called me for tech support when his Rio that Bill gave him died.  I hope to see some improvements here as I was promised this situation will be delt with.  Again the people at microsoft that I dealt with via phone and emai were most helpful and courteous.  Maybe it is because they have supervision more so than the people on here.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 5:30 AM
  • exactly....I didnt upgrade really.  the chip and all periphals are the same just the board was replaced with the only one available.  I would change my name to satisfied customer if I knew were to do so.  I would advise against emachines tho the mb shipped with the system that I have do not last more than 6 months in my experience that is another reason for getting an aftermarket board vs losing my system for 3 weeks for them to put in another mb that will most likely die by january.  Honestly I was surprised by the rudeness of emachines and so was the tech at microsoft.  I actually saved them money and I am a certified tech so I really didnt see what I did wrong.  Anyways you can kill this thread I am done with it and I would like to thank the nice people at microsoft again for fixing my problem.  See I did change my name lol hope you all have a nice day/night.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 5:50 AM
  •  satisfied customer wrote:
    exactly....I didnt upgrade really.  the chip and all periphals are the same just the board was replaced with the only one available.  I would change my name to satisfied customer if I knew were to do so.  I would advise against emachines tho the mb shipped with the system that I have do not last more than 6 months in my experience that is another reason for getting an aftermarket board vs losing my system for 3 weeks for them to put in another mb that will most likely die by january.  Honestly I was surprised by the rudeness of emachines and so was the tech at microsoft.  I actually saved them money and I am a certified tech so I really didnt see what I did wrong.  Anyways you can kill this thread I am done with it and I would like to thank the nice people at microsoft again for fixing my problem.  See I did change my name lol hope you all have a nice day/night.

Yeah 4 microsoft until next time lol

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 5:56 AM
  • If your COA sticker key on the case is differnt from the one you posted in your report then all you need to do is change your current key with the one on the case, this is a why they give you the extra key in the 1st place, then phone in to activate.

If the key is the same as in the report then you will need to purchase a new XP.

This is why you build your own system with retail disks.
    Friday, August 11, 2006 11:49 PM
  •  

Just call Microsoft and tell them you had to reformat because of windows errors and you need to re activate windows and they will give u a activation code.

I think activation is bs anyway and cuts in to our privacy but i don't worry about activation anymore because i have my school version that does not need to be activated or registered.

I have a eMachines T2625 that i changed the motherboard in and all i did was called Microsoft and they gave me a new number and with my eMachines 400i i just installed my school disk
    I'm done giving money to Bill Gates

Saturday, October 13, 2007 1:28 AM