none
WHS Storage Hard Drive Showing Not Added RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS seems to be in a bit of a mess. My c: drive partition only came with 20gb and soon filled. I innocently thought no problem just use EasEUS to change the partitions. So I increased the c: drive to 50gb and of course adjusted the d: drive on the disk appropriately.

Disaster! now when I try to login to WHS i get "homeserverconsoletab.routerconttrol.dll unsuccessfull" with just the option to retry which is doesn't work or skip. When I skip the addin doesn't show so i cant uninstall. Also the primary hard drive is saying its not added and none of my shared folders work, backup service fails etc... Its a complete mess.

why when you reboot WHS it just doesn't like any windows 2003 server or any other windows op system just adjust itelf to the changed partition i do not know.

I tried following various articles to chkdsk all the drives and they are come through clean (its takes ages!!1) and read some articles to go use regedit and amend whs storage manager volume size keys which I have corrected but that makes no difference.

I guess i could try using the recovery disk but thats means tearing ethernet cables out and apparently you have to connect your mediasmart server directly to a pc. So lots of pain to do that and no guarantee it will work.

Has anyone else had anything like this and or do you have any suggestions...

I'm at a complete loss... HELP please.

PS: would just pulling out and re-inserting the disk force WHS to pick up the changed partitions? if so whats the best way to do this?

:(

Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:38 PM

Answers

• Hi ken,

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer. I tried recovery that didn't work. Managed to save my data by remote desktop and copying it all off!!!. Re installation didn't work. After hours with HP they decided it was something faulty in the chassis so I had to have a replacement and start all over again. That did work!!!

Not a great start to my HP experience as I've been a DELL PC buyer for over 10 years and never had any hardware issues touch wood!!

Saturday, May 29, 2010 2:46 PM

All replies

• Resizing partitions on your home server is not supported by Microsoft, and known to cause exactly the problems you're experiencing. This is one of many reasons why warnings are scattered throughout the forums to the effect that "Remote Desktop is unsupported, and the possibility exists that you will mess your server up severely". Your only real option is server recovery. The process is documented in the manuals you received with your MediaSmart server.

While there is no requirement that you use a direct connection between your server and a home computer for the recovery, it is more reliable without an external network. Just make sure that the PC you use is set to use DHCP.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Is that the case? Microsodt supports partition resizing on all windows variants and the app I used is accredited by microsoft to do this. Windows server 2003 etc is included in the list.

I'm not happy with HP for shipping the box with a stupidly small partition of 20gb but I guess its my fault for not checking that before hand. Although where I would have got that low level of specification is not clear. I didn't think it would be a problem as its normally so easily to change the partitions.

I really do think this is a bug that should be fixed by Microsoft not take a position where WHS is the only windows op sys variant to not support partition resizing surely?

If i use my recovery disk will the partition be reset back to 20gb? If so this isn't really a long term solution for me as it contrains my use of this very expensive box quite a bit. my value for money will be substantially dented.

Are there any other solutions other than recovery?

Sunday, May 9, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Nothing that you do in a Remote Desktop session (or via physical console) is "supported". So no, resizing the system partition isn't supported. Windows Home Server isn't a desktop operating system, and it isn't Windows Server 2003 "lite", even though the base operating system is a version of Windows Server 2003. There are tools available from the desktop that can cause severe issues (including data loss), and there are many third party tools that can cause similar damage. That's why that warning displays every time you log in using Remote Desktop.

I don't guarantee that reinstallation will correct your problem; it's been over three years since I experimented with partition sizes. My honest suggestion would be to recover your data following the steps in this FAQ , then use a factory reset to restore the server to "as delivered" state. Following that, see this blog post for information on how to clone the system drive; it should be possible to modify the procedure to simply resize the partitions. But please realize that there is no guarantee that this will have no effect on future updates to the product.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Hi ken,

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer. I tried recovery that didn't work. Managed to save my data by remote desktop and copying it all off!!!. Re installation didn't work. After hours with HP they decided it was something faulty in the chassis so I had to have a replacement and start all over again. That did work!!!

Not a great start to my HP experience as I've been a DELL PC buyer for over 10 years and never had any hardware issues touch wood!!

Saturday, May 29, 2010 2:46 PM