Expanding Volumes RRS feed

• Question

•  

My question might be a bit atypical.

My office retired their old SAN a few years ago and I was able to take it home and install it in my basement.  I was able to install Home Server on my EMC Symmetrix DMX 3000(40TB) using a LSI Logic LSI449290 dual channel controller card.  I allocated a 1TB LUN and then I added the LSI driver for Home Server(2003 server) and it saw this a 1 hard drive.  It made the 20GB boot partition and the rest for data.

My question is this:  If I dynamically expand the LUN to 2TB, will Home Server just see this as extra disk space and allow me to make another partition to be added?

Question #2:  If I want to add more space on a separate LUN, is the limit for an additional drive still 2TB?  Let's say I want to add 4TB, should I am 2 x 2TB LUNS to add?

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:05 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server uses MBR style partitions, so you're limited to a maximum of 2 TB per volume. As for expanding a  volume, Windows Home Server wasn't designed to run on the sort of hardware you're using, so it's possible it won't deal gracefully. You'll probably have to try it and see.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I would simply have your drive array as several large partitions and install WHS on that, 20gb for SYS and the rest for DATA. Your SAN already provides for redundancy in hardware so you don't need drive extender features like data duplication across multiple drives.

Technically, your setup isn't supported under WHS. (although it does work since you have drivers to enable it. )

David_Howard70 wrote:

My question might be a bit atypical.

My office retired their old SAN a few years ago and I was able to take it home and install it in my basement.  I was able to install Home Server on my EMC Symmetrix DMX 3000(40TB) using a LSI Logic LSI449290 dual channel controller card.  I allocated a 1TB LUN and then I added the LSI driver for Home Server(2003 server) and it saw this a 1 hard drive.  It made the 20GB boot partition and the rest for data.

My question is this:  If I dynamically expand the LUN to 2TB, will Home Server just see this as extra disk space and allow me to make another partition to be added?

Question #2:  If I want to add more space on a separate LUN, is the limit for an additional drive still 2TB?  Let's say I want to add 4TB, should I am 2 x 2TB LUNS to add?

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:35 PM