Installing Vail Connector software on windows XP fails with unexpected error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install Vail connector on Windows XP Professional SP3.  During install, specifically, "Connecting Computer to the Network" I get an error "faild with unexpected error."  Then it says "click ok" to roll back most of the changes.

I have turned everything off including firewall etc. and get the same error.  

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 4:26 PM

Answers

• I'm sure there's more than one cause of this message, but when I ran into it, the issue was that the SSDP service was set to disabled.

Mine was a Win7 machine, but the WHS team did confirm that having this service disabled will cause the connector install to fail.

-timotl

• Marked as answer by mukilteo Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 4:44 PM

All replies

• I'm sure there's more than one cause of this message, but when I ran into it, the issue was that the SSDP service was set to disabled.

Mine was a Win7 machine, but the WHS team did confirm that having this service disabled will cause the connector install to fail.

-timotl

• Marked as answer by mukilteo Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Hi timotl, thanks for the advice, it worked!  I enabled SSDP and started it and the install went on without a hitch.  Thanks for the help!
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Glad that was a simple fix.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:08 PM
  • hi, i get same problem but with windows 7.....any solutions?
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Confirmed. I had the same issue with an XP MCE SP3 laptop, and enabling the SSDP service did the trick.

Thanks guys.

Friday, October 8, 2010 12:53 AM