WHS Restore CD won't install network drivers?!? RRS feed

• Question

• I know that similar questions have been posted in this forum, but so far, after days of working the problem and searching for solutions, I'm still unable to get the WHS Restore CD it see my network card or install the drivers.  I'm hoping that some kind folks on the forum might be able to finally set me straight.  Here's the general info:

1)  Acer Aspire EasyStore H340
    2)  WHS with Power Pack 2
    3)  clinent PC - Dell Studio XPS Laptop
    4)  Windows Vista 64bit (service pack 2)
    5)  Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet (chipset 5784)
    6)  I've downloaded the latest WHS Dual Boot Restore CD (version 1800, dated 7/21/2008)
    7)  I've placed the Broadcom drivers into a folder named "DRIVERS" in the root directory of my USB drive.
    8)  I've tried 4 different sets of drivers.
              a)  from C:\DELL\Network\Drivers
              b)  from my laptop's - C:\Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore
              c)  from a WHS backup image - C:\Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore
              d)  downloaded latest drivers directly from the Broadcom website.

When I boot with the restore disc, NO Ethernet adapters show up in the Network Devices portion of the Detect Hardware window.  I click on "Install Drivers" and the click "Scan" to get the drivers from the USB drive.  I ALWAYS receive a message that "Drivers were found for your hardware", however the ethernet adapter is NEVER added to the Ethernet Devices window.   I've tried briefly to get things working correctly on an XP machine (running Service Pack 3) and have had very similar network issues.  So at this point, my issues don't seem to be a Vista vs. XP thing.

At this point, I'm simply at a loss for what I can try next.  I really like WHS.  It's been great for serving music, photos, video, etc.  I also use it with Avast Anti-virus for WHS to protect all my networked computers.  However, in my opinion, the MOST IMPORTANT function of my WHS is to backup all my networked computers so that I have a reliable means of restoring any computer should the need arise.  WHS backs up each computer wonderfully, but unfortunately, the key feature of RESTORING a computer seems to be VERY problematic.  In the past I've always used Norton Ghost with an external USB hard drive.  I've been hoping to move away from that method, but at this point... at least that works!

Any help that anyone might be able to provide would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

• I know that similar questions have been posted in this forum, but so far, after days of working the problem and searching for solutions, I'm still unable to get the WHS Restore CD it see my network card or install the drivers.  I'm hoping that some kind folks on the forum might be able to finally set me straight.  Here's the general info:

6)  I've downloaded the latest WHS Dual Boot Restore CD (version 1800, dated 7/21/2008)
    7)  I've placed the Broadcom drivers into a folder named "DRIVERS" in the root directory of my USB drive.

When I boot with the restore disc, NO Ethernet adapters show up in the Network Devices portion of the Detect Hardware window.  I click on "Install Drivers" and the click "Scan" to get the drivers from the USB drive.  I ALWAYS receive a message that "Drivers were found for your hardware", however the ethernet adapter is NEVER added to the Ethernet Devices window.   I've tried briefly to get things working correctly on an XP machine (running Service Pack 3) and have had very similar network issues.  So at this point, my issues don't seem to be a Vista vs. XP thing.

At this point, I'm simply at a loss for what I can try next.  I really like WHS.  It's been great for serving music, photos, video, etc.  I also use it with Avast Anti-virus for WHS to protect all my networked computers.  However, in my opinion, the MOST IMPORTANT function of my WHS is to backup all my networked computers so that I have a reliable means of restoring any computer should the need arise.  WHS backs up each computer wonderfully, but unfortunately, the key feature of RESTORING a computer seems to be VERY problematic.  In the past I've always used Norton Ghost with an external USB hard drive.  I've been hoping to move away from that method, but at this point... at least that works!

Thanks in advance!!

Did you try using the Vista 32-bit drivers for your NIC?  (The restore environment is 32-bit only.)
    • Marked as answer by byrd01 Monday, August 31, 2009 3:50 AM
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:48 PM

All replies

Thanks in advance!!

Did you try using the Vista 32-bit drivers for your NIC?  (The restore environment is 32-bit only.)
    • Marked as answer by byrd01 Monday, August 31, 2009 3:50 AM
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Well I'll be d$mned!  It WORKS!!  Actually, I specifically did NOT use the 32-bit drivers before because I had read elsewhere that a few people who had similar issues were instructed to be sure that they were using the 64-bit drivers.  Once I switched to the 32-bit drivers the network card was seen, I was able to connect the server, and see all the available backups for the computers on the network.  I haven't had the guts yet to proceed with a full restoration, but I'll certainly do it sometime soon.  I want to be sure that I can go through the full process before it becomes a critical issue. 

Now I just have to make sure I can connect the other 3 computers on the network.  As mentioned above, I quickly tried an XP PC, and had some problems.  Hopefully, I can work through those without to much difficulty... we'll see...

Thanks so much for the short, but SWEET reply!!!!
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:39 AM
  • Well I'll be d$mned!  It WORKS!!  Actually, I specifically did NOT use the 32-bit drivers before because I had read elsewhere that a few people who had similar issues were instructed to be sure that they were using the 64-bit drivers.  Once I switched to the 32-bit drivers the network card was seen, I was able to connect the server, and see all the available backups for the computers on the network.  I haven't had the guts yet to proceed with a full restoration, but I'll certainly do it sometime soon.  I want to be sure that I can go through the full process before it becomes a critical issue.

Good idea (and something I would suggest everyone do).  It's unfortunate more people don't think like you do...

Now I just have to make sure I can connect the other 3 computers on the network.  As mentioned above, I quickly tried an XP PC, and had some problems.  Hopefully, I can work through those without to much difficulty... we'll see...

Thanks so much for the short, but SWEET reply!!!!
    One other point of interest:  Fellow WHS-MVP Ken Warren has a suggestion on Connect for MS titled Restore CD should support 64 bit drivers (to eliminate the type of problem you just had and, IMO, something that is only going to become more necessary as time goes on due to the growing popularity of 64-bit).  You might want to validate his suggestion.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:00 AM
  • One other point of interest:  Fellow WHS-MVP Ken Warren has a suggestion on Connect for MS titled Restore CD should support 64 bit drivers (to eliminate the type of problem you just had and, IMO, something that is only going to become more necessary as time goes on due to the growing popularity of 64-bit).  You might want to validate his suggestion.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to view the link that you included.  Are you saying that I should share my experience there in support of his suggestion, or that he is suggesting that Microsoft actually does claim that the restore cd supports 64-bit drivers?  I'd be happy to comment there, how do I view it?  When I try to see the page I get the message "Page Not Found . The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it".
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Click on Kariya's first link, then join the Windows Home Server beta program. Then you should be able to view the product suggestion, which is to modify the Home Computer Restore CD functionality so that it will work with any driver that Windows Home Server extracts to "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore", instead of choking on drivers that really are 64 bit (many components on a 64 bit computer will work just fine with a 32 bit driver).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:37 PM
  • I've been going through the same exact issues, and when I followed kariya2's 32-bit suggestion (on a 64-bit machined I'm trying to restore), the long-standing inability to load my NIC's driver worked like a charm!!  Thanks for the heads-up on the restore environment's 32-bit underpinnings!!
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Hi everyone

I have followed the advice above and eventually found the correct network 32-bit drivers to restore my son's Acer Aspire 5542 win7 Home premium x64 PC.

I can fond the WHs Server, and the correct backup file to restore - but when I try to restore using it after some time while it shows it's trying to work outhow long it will take - it first said 35 minutes then it stretched out to 1hr 55 mins - so I left it nd went to bed.  In the morn it had shut itself down - the PC nit the WHS- and boot up reported no sys on HDD - sayin to run restore CD again to repair - this worked fine up until I again clicked the retore button - then after to some thought it threw up an error window saying 'unknown network issue' and refuses to budge despite alsorts of retries.  Another forum advised me to check my router DNS lease time had not expired half way through - I found it was set for one day - I have extended this to 9 days now to be on the safe side - to no effect.  When I view the PC partitions it shows most are indeed empty - so must assume the first run formatted them and had just made a startt ot restore them when the PC sut down.  No sign of any power outages here etc.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Tonny

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Did you try using the Vista 32-bit drivers for your NIC?  (The restore environment is 32-bit only.)

I realize that this is a very old discussion but I just had to say thanks.   I had the same problem and the answer here (use 32-bit drivers) worked.   I'm now in the process of putting 32-bit drivers for each of my machines in the WHS restore folders so that I won't have this problem again.

Thank you so much.

Athena

Athena

Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:37 AM