Can't remove Norton to install OneCare RRS feed

• Question

•  

I bought a new Gateway laptop yesterday.  After I got started with the computer, I wanted to install OneCare.  As I was going through the process, I removed Norton that came with the computer as directed when installing One Care.  All seemed well.  After about 3 hours, I turned off the computer.  A half hour or so later, I re-booted.  Something goofy was going on with the start up.  The laptop has Vista which is new to me.  I have XPPro on old computer so had not seen Vista run through the paces.  Eventually, the computer re-booted itself.  It must have restored itself to the first time I started the machine.  Norton was on the program list and the icon was present.  One Care was not there.  So I started to install OneCare again (2nd computer on my subscription).  It came to the part where I was advised to uninstall Norton.  I clicked "Remove" but another window popped up stating the path could not be found to that program!  Eeeek!  I tried several times.  I contacted Gateway but the said they can't do anything about a third party's program!  Aaaaargh!  I sent an email to One CAre but have heard nothing back.  I couldn't find a way to contact Symantic about this issue!  Help!  Can someone please post instructions?  I did the Ctrl Alt Del and ended the task, re-booted, started the install but nada.  I tried to activate the free subscription to Nortan that came with the computer but now that can't be found either, in spite of the name and icon remaining in program list.  Thank you in advance.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• Because the security products are installed at such low levels of your Operating System they are often difficult to remove using just the control panel, that's why most vendors (including both OneCare and Norton) provide tools to assist in their removal.  Take a look at this site for removal assistance with the remaining traces of your Norton install: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:28 PM