Peer-to-peer vs Hub-and-Spoke RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Can anybody simply show me the difference between peer-to-peer and hub-and-spoke configurations? Both theorically and practically with SyncFx v.2.1.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:51 AM

Answers

• in peer-to-peer, a replica can sync with any other replica. (client to server, client to client)

hub-spoke, a spoke can only sync with the hub (client to server and not client to client) and you cant just change hubs as it will break the sync.

the peer-to-peer providers can also worked in a hub-spoke configuration, peers (spokes) synching with a central peer (hub).

P.S.

apologies if i havent replied to your email yet :)

• Edited by JuneT Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by ufobm Friday, August 3, 2012 6:36 AM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:06 AM

All replies

• in peer-to-peer, a replica can sync with any other replica. (client to server, client to client)

hub-spoke, a spoke can only sync with the hub (client to server and not client to client) and you cant just change hubs as it will break the sync.

the peer-to-peer providers can also worked in a hub-spoke configuration, peers (spokes) synching with a central peer (hub).

P.S.

• Edited by JuneT Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by ufobm Friday, August 3, 2012 6:36 AM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:06 AM

P.S.

Thank you again June.

So, using SqlSyncProvider, there's not a "coded" difference. The difference is only in the way I use it... In hub-spoke I must have the same remoteprovider for each spoke, in peer-to-peer I can set up every couple localprovider-remoteprovider that I want. Maybe I should also provide a different conflict resolution policy. Anyway, the way I use SqlSyncProvider is the same. Am I right?

Reply to your P.S.: you don't have to apology! You already helped me a lot and you can take all the time you need. And from next week I'll be on vacation, so my doubts are postponed :oP !

Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:51 AM
  • yes, in SqlSyncProvider, you can go peer to peer or hub spoke.

in hub-spoke, just have all spoke sync with the same hub : different local providers synching to the same remote provider.

in peer-to-peer, you can pick any peer as the remote provider.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:01 AM