Cannot See Free/Busy Time, Creating Meeting Causes Exchange 2007 Error Using Communicator Client RRS feed

• Question

•  

We are using OCS 2007 and Exchange 2007.  Presence informations displays properly, and Out Of Office information displays porperly.  When a user attempts to invoke a meeting request and tries to display Free/Busy time, all they get is a hashed line.  If the person being invited is added a second time, then the hashed line goes away, but no appointment details are available on the OCS generated instance (free/busy is displayed without details).  For the manually added entry, free/busy and details are displayed.

Removing the second entry removes the ability to view free busy. The original entry goes back to the hashed no information available state.  Closing the meeting request wihtout sending it off produces two errors on the Exchange Server application log (email addresses have been changed to protect the innocent):

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: EXCDO
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 8239
    Date:  2/27/2008
    Time:  8:40:08 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: LSS003
    Description:
    An appointment with the subject "" was saved to mailbox Jim@work. The start time is missing, so the calendaring agent cannot publish the free/busy information for this appointment. To correct this, please delete the appointment and recreate it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 8206
    Date:  2/27/2008
    Time:  8:40:08 AM
    Description:
    Calendaring agent failed with error code 0x80040229 while saving appointment.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 48 72 53 61 76 69 6e 67   HrSaving
    0008: 41 70 70 74 3a 3a 48 72   Appt::Hr
    0010: 43 68 65 63 6b 50 61 74   CheckPat
    0018: 74 65 72 6e 20 66 61 69   tern fai
    0020: 6c 65 64 2e 20 4d 61 69   led. Mai
    0028: 6c 62 6f 78 3a 6a 63 6c   lbox:xxx
    0030: 61 79 70 6f 6f 6c 40 6c   xxxJim@w

0038: 69 66 65 2d 73 6f 75 72   orkxxxxx
    0040: 63 65 2e 6f 72 67         xx.xxx 

I am not picking up a any errors on the workstation or OCS server that seem to be related to this situation.  We are still in a testing phase with the OCS server although it is being used in our production environment.  I had been just cancelling the meeting requests (since it was testing only).  When I do go ahead and send off the request, the Exchagne server then posts an additional application event:

Event Type: Warning
    Event ID: 8241
    Date:  2/28/2008
    Time:  3:02:24 PM
    Description:
    An existing appointment with the subject "" in mailbox Jim@Work was modified. The start time, or both the duration and end time of the existing appointment were missing.

0018: 74 65 72 6e 20 66 61 69   tern fai
    0020: 6c 65 64 2e 20 4d 61 69   led. Mai
    0028: 6c 62 6f 78 3a 6a 63 6c   lbox:xxx

0030: 61 79 70 6f 6f 6c 40 6c   xxxJim@W
    0038: 69 66 65 2d 73 6f 75 72   orkxxxxx
    0040: 63 65 2e 6f 72 67         xx.xxx 

Our internal domain name does not match our sip address.  I do have a certificate on the OCS server that is generated by a third party provider, and it does have sip.external.xxx as a subject alternate name.  Our clients are able to automatically authenticate internally over tcp and externally over tls through ISA 2006.  OWA and Outlook Anywhere are functioning, and the Autodiscover process works both internally and externally.  All external communications related to Outlook and Exchange rely on Basic authentication.  The OCS server is set up to use Kerberos or NTLM for its authentication.  The above errors were captured from testing using an internal connection.

Hope that gives enough clues.  I've tried to find the answer by searching through the communities here but haven't found anyone that presents the same type of errors.  I had found references to EXCDO errors being related to antivirus scanners, but those have been turned off for testing purposes and the results haven't changed. 

Thanks in advance.

Jim@Work

Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:24 PM

All replies

• There may be a number of problems here...

You said you have OCS set up for TCP? Was there a reason you didn't go with TLS, which is the default for both internal and external communications? Especially if you bought a 3rd party certificate to secure connections over TLS, using TCP negates that purchase. ISA shouldn't have anything to do with TLS connections externally, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. You use an Edge server for external connections.

It really sounds like you're having Exchange issues, not problems with OCS. Can you verify you're seeing the same meeting request issues from a machine without OC installed? The only thing OC uses Outlook for is to pull any kind of free/busy data. It shouldn't have any effect on Outlook being able to read free/busy. OCS will not have any effect or integration with OWA or Outlook Anywhere.

What versions of Outlook are in use? If you're using 2003 have you created a public folder structure to hold your free/busy data? If you're on 2007 are your Exchange web services configured correctly?

I'd suggest reading the planning or deployment guides for OCS again.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 4:10 PM
  •  

Thanks for your feedback.  I'll go over the installation and best practices again, but to give you an overview of why we are doing what we are doing, internal is set up for TCP because the internal domain name and the external domain name are not the same.  We wanted to be able to allow our users with notebooks to use the client either internally or externally without having to validate a second time after logging onto their workstation and wihtout having to manually set the server addresses.  Using TCP internally eliminated the need to set up a specific address (where we are not concerned about IM traffic being monitored internally); it seemed to be a reasonable compromise.  The ISA server is used to validate requests externally for IM connectivity and to limit that connectivity for that published address to port 5061, and route the SIP traffic to our OCS server.  Yeah, we should have an Edge Server, but we are comfortable at this time with how users are able to validate to the OCS server, that the external communications are over TLS, and, since we are not looking to have any Federated partners, allow Public IM connectivity, or proivde any of the web services, we felt that this was a reasonable solution as opposed to adding another server at this time.

But concerning the Free/Busy time presentation, we have never had clean Free/Busy time look ups, either in Live Communication Server 2005 or in OCS 2007.  What I can't quite grasp is how the request is being placed from the OCS client to Exchange.  And no, we don't have any Free/Busy issues when someone is trying to create a meeting request from using Outlook from a non-OCS supportive machine, everything seems to work well in those circumstances.

Our Exchange environment consists of one Exchange 2003 server which had housed user mailboxes but now is only there because of a Microsoft CRM product that won't work with Exchange 2007.  All of our OCS users have a mailbox housed on Exchange 2007, and the workstation email client is Outlook 2007.  The primary server housing Public Folders is our Exchange 2007 server.  At one point in time I had read where OCS expected to find Free/Busy information on the Public Store regardless of the version of Exchagne being used, but never did get a good read as to how to validate that was or was not occurring, or how ot validate what OCS thought was the location of the Free/Busy information.

I believe that our Exchange Web Services are configured correctly, but possible correctly only for Exchange.  By that I mean, we went through our External connecitvity for Outlook clients to set up for Outlook Anywhere with Microsoft Product Support.  We went to Microsoft Product Support because we could get Outlook anywhere to work intrnally, but not externally.  During those sessions, we went over the web services on our Exchange server, and our ISA configuration to get to those web services.  The long and the short of it was that we had to set up Outlook Anywhere to use Basic authentication for it to work.  So, Outlook Anywhere is only configured for our Externally connecting users, making the related Exchagne virtual directories set up for Basic authentication.  OCS, in contrast, uses Kerberos and NTLM for authentication, which may be what needs to be addressed.

I haven't run across anything that describes the configuration of Exchange Web Services and how it relates to OCS.  Perhaps it's all in the way that I am searching.  In any event, I appreciate your initial feedback and will see if re-reading the deployment documentation will help.  If not, I'll post this question and scenario out on the Exchange 2007 community to see if it rings a bell.

Thanks for getting this moving in the right direction.

Jim@Work

Monday, March 3, 2008 9:27 PM