A file with split personalities RRS feed

• General discussion

• I loaded Apache.  Then I tried to modify the .conf file to match another server using scite.exe (which works fine)

When I figured out there were 2 many differences to do manually, I saved and closed scite and opened the file in slickedit so I could diff the two filles together.

None of my changes were saved.  Thinking this was weird, I opened the file with scite again, and the changes were there! So I went to explorer, opened up slickedit, notepad, and scite (with no files loaded).  Then I drug the same file from the same explorer window into all 3 editors.  Scite got the modified version of the file, notepad and slickedit got the unmodified version.

So I closed the editor, and DELETED the file using explorer.  It shows up as gone.  Slickedit can't open it from the recent files menu, I can't drag and drop it to notepad.  BUT if I Open SCITE, and do File|Open, browse to the folder, mysteriously, the file is still showing, AND it can be opened by scite AND the changes are still in the file.  If I backup one level, right click on the conf folder and do Open In a New Window, explorer opens a window where the file is NOT visible.

Oh yea, apache, sees the file modified by scite, it doesn't know the file was deleted.

What is going on here?

Win 7 Enterprise, 64 bit, Standard User
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:04 PM

All replies

• I don't know where to refer you to, but I am quite sure that your post is off topic for the Live Mesh forum you posted to: www.mesh.com

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:53 PM