Issue with account lockout/passwords sticking RRS feed

• Question

• I'll try to be as through as I can about this issue.

I just bought a new laptop and synced it up with my home server. Ever since I've installed the connector software and got access to my shared folders, I've been prompted to make the password between my WHS account and my laptop login match when I start that laptop up. The odd thing is when I get on my old laptop, it is also prompting me to sync the password between it's user login and the account on WHS. I set both WHS accounts up to mirror the information i log into my laptops with so I can avoid this issue. I've tried humoring the prompt and changing my password on both accounts to match my login password as well as using the console to change the passwords on each seperate account to be the same as my user login, but WHS continues to tell me the passwords have a mismatch. It almost looks like I'm changing the password for both computers accounts when I humor the warning on either machine.

To complicate matters, right now my older laptop's account continually locks itself out, and my new laptops account seems like it's locked if I humor the password prompt, yet I can get into the server shared folders on it. I'm at the breaking point here, can someone please give me some help!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:43 AM

All replies

• I'll try to be as through as I can about this issue.

I just bought a new laptop and synced it up with my home server. Ever since I've installed the connector software and got access to my shared folders, I've been prompted to make the password between my WHS account and my laptop login match when I start that laptop up. The odd thing is when I get on my old laptop, it is also prompting me to sync the password between it's user login and the account on WHS. I set both WHS accounts up to mirror the information i log into my laptops with so I can avoid this issue. I've tried humoring the prompt and changing my password on both accounts to match my login password as well as using the console to change the passwords on each seperate account to be the same as my user login, but WHS continues to tell me the passwords have a mismatch. It almost looks like I'm changing the password for both computers accounts when I humor the warning on either machine.

To complicate matters, right now my older laptop's account continually locks itself out, and my new laptops account seems like it's locked if I humor the password prompt, yet I can get into the server shared folders on it. I'm at the breaking point here, can someone please give me some help!

First, only worry about one computer at a time (I would start with the new laptop since it's presumably not as "dirty" as the old laptop).  You might want to start by seeing if the username (which is not the same as the display name) on the new laptop truly matches a user account on the server (and I would reset the password on both for good measure).  See this FAQ regarding username vs. display name.  Also, make sure the Guest account on the server is disabled.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:52 AM