Somebody Please Explain Batch Size RRS feed

Answers

• I think you are right, the document page for RelationalSyncProvider.GetSyncBatchParameters is outdated currently. This class inherits the KnowledgeSyncProvider and originally the description is similar to the one for KnowledgeSyncProvider. But now after batching is implemented, the descriptions need to be updated. I will report this issue.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Speedware Friday, April 30, 2010 6:02 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• For SqlSyncProvider, the batchSize returned from GetSyncBatchParameter() should match the provider's MemoryDataCacheSize (in kb).

If this is a 2-tier provider, the Sync Framework code does that for you, if this is a n-tier service provider, the proxy provider's GetSyncBatchParameter() implementation should reflect that for the service provider's required MemoryDataCacheSize (in kb).

• Proposed as answer by Jandeep Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Speedware Friday, April 30, 2010 12:20 PM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:01 PM
    Answerer
  • For SqlSyncProvider, the batchSize returned from GetSyncBatchParameter() should match the provider's MemoryDataCacheSize (in kb).

Jin,

That is exactly what I said.

Now the documentation of MemoryDataCacheSize, as you point out, is denominated in units of KB. The documentation of GetSyncBatchParameters() states that BatchSize is denominated in units of records that changed.

So now, please explain the dicotomy of definitions.

And repeating my questions from the original post:

Can somebody (preferably from Microsoft with access to the actual code) explain batch size? Is any or all of the documentation wrong?

Steve

Friday, April 30, 2010 4:27 AM
  • I think you are right, the document page for RelationalSyncProvider.GetSyncBatchParameters is outdated currently. This class inherits the KnowledgeSyncProvider and originally the description is similar to the one for KnowledgeSyncProvider. But now after batching is implemented, the descriptions need to be updated. I will report this issue.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Speedware Friday, April 30, 2010 6:02 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Jin,

Ok, so the value returned in GetSyncBatchParameters() is also a measure of KB for the batch.

Thanks

Steve

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:02 PM