none
Transcoder For WHS

Question

• I have connected my WHS to my Xbox360 and obviously the Xbox only reads the file types Microsoft has allowed so far. My question is, instead of using a program like Tversity on a second computer can I run it directly off of my WHS or has another transcoder been developed to run with WHS yet.

I have close to 4TB of movies on my server ranging from .iso to x264 files and don’t want to tie up a second computer to run a transcoder to the Xbox if I can run it direct from the server.

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 1:50 AM

All replies

•  SinCity wrote:
    I have connected my WHS to my Xbox360 and obviously the Xbox only reads the file types Microsoft has allowed so far. My question is, instead of using a program like Tversity on a second computer can I run it directly off of my WHS

With the current data corruption problem which, in part, has to do with a heavy server load, I wouldn't even attempt it.

SinCity wrote:
    or has another transcoder been developed to run with WHS yet.

Not to my knowledge.

SinCity wrote:
    I have close to 4TB of movies on my server ranging from .iso to x264 files and don’t want to tie up a second computer to run a transcoder to the Xbox if I can run it direct from the server.

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help.

I was using ISOs at first, but I ended up switching those files to DVR-MS files (mainly because the ability to FF and Rewind using ISOs is terrible due to the transcoding process).  Now I can FF to the end of the movie almost immediately. Smile  Unfortunately, you sill need a MCE in the mix to play the files on the 360, but at least it doesn't have to do much work now.

Another alternative is to change the files to WMV or DivX/Xvid (which is now supported as of the December dashboard update).  That way you have a straight WHS to 360 path.

Saturday, January 05, 2008 2:51 PM