HP Proliant ML110 G4 - who's had success with WHS setup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there - just ordered one of these to replace my home built WHS (AMD on ASUS m2n-VM) that gives me weekly SYS Drive failing messages...  I'm hoping that a piece of server hardware will prove more reliable.

I'd be interested in feedback from those who have got through the install of WHS onto this system.  The model I have coming has the P4D 2.8GHz SATA1 - I scanned the forums, and couldn't spot any specific successes, other than problems dealing with the drive controller which is a raid setup - WHS not liking its driver.?

All success (or otherwise) stories welcome - my new server arrives in 5 days Smile

Cheers,
    TonyT
    Sydney
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:39 PM

Answers

•  

I buildt it fine provided you skip the AHCI and leave the drives showing as IDE.  I wanted to get them done properly got as far as trying to extract the driver onto a floppy, but coudln't find an uncorrupt diskette and now it's on the things to do list.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 9:34 AM

All replies

•  

I buildt it fine provided you skip the AHCI and leave the drives showing as IDE.  I wanted to get them done properly got as far as trying to extract the driver onto a floppy, but coudln't find an uncorrupt diskette and now it's on the things to do list.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Hi Risky, thanks for the feedback on the AHCI driver. 

I'd read on various forums that the ML110 defaults to look for RAID drivers during install / F6 to interupt boot and load these drivers.  I'm curious if you are using the onboard RAID, or if you disabled RAID in bios before doing the WHS OS install, and the HP driver set install ?

My ML110 is due to be delivered tomorrow

Cheers
    Tony
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 11:33 AM
  • Hi TonyT,

Just got on this board and saw your message. My WHS is running on a Proliant ML110 G5 (Sorry).

The G5 works fine, I do not use any RAID setup though, J the BOD. I installed twice, once of the trail version, used it for a couple of weeks, then bought two 750G disks to the original 250G, and reinstalled the then ordered WHS OEM pack. I got the drivers from the HP site (for Windows Server), burned them to CD on the PC, they all (but one) work great. The one I have not been able to get rid of is the "Other Devices - Unknown Device" ACPI/HPI0002/0 thingy. There where two of those issues, just managed to fix the one.

I do not need the extra RAID protection was my reasoning, since I also use a NAS box (D-Link) with 2x400G drives configured as JBOD. I use SyncToy scheduled at night to copy over the files I need. If thwe WHS breaks down I have a clear copy of my important files until I get WHS back up and running. Besides if you have enough disks in there with some larger size, the balancing will work for you also. I have read that the new SP1 has some enhanced (a nice word for what they left out the first time), some new features on better handling issues with disks.

By counting the post dates your server should already be up and running.

Trust the answer is somewhat helpful to you, althoug the G level is one higher.

Regards,

Jack @ Home

The Netherlands

Friday, July 4, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Hi Jack

Thanks for the advice.  Yes my new server has just arrived , and unpacked - but I'm waiting on the memory upgrade, and a new drive to install as the primary.  160G is just not enough

Currently I run WHS on a home built box with an AMD 4800+ and Asus M2N-VM motherboard.  I'm looking for an improvement in reliability (and less disk problems) from the ML110 - the current weekly Sys Drive failing messages (but no scan errors found) is a real annoyance.  I'm hoping that hardware built for W2003 might fare better... (that plus PP1)

Cheers,
    Tony T
    Sydney

Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:35 AM
  • Tony,

How is the setup going? I've had a HP Proliant ML110 G4 running WHS for a couple of months now but have had some problems as of last night, see http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=2674

I found some info here but I am unsure if it is connected. What do you think?
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:50 PM
  • Hi Dean

Sorry to hear you have probs - my ML110 G4 is going great, so far - but its only been up for 5 days, so too early to be definitative...  I'm also being ultra conservative, and only running ONE disk drive until PP1 goes RTM.

As for your "No OS" issue - I haven't had this issue (touch wood) but if it helps any, putting my troubleshooting hat on, I'd look at the following areas

1) boot to bios and go to the last page to select load default bios settings - I had problems during setup of my ML110 with BIOS settings causing exactly this error message - the default BIOS settings and then minimal changes work fine now.

2) If you have done HD tests OK externally, and the boot sector checks OK, then I'd be looking at the disk controller, and drivers.
    - is the boot HD connected to SATA0 port ?

3) The ML110 drive controller is SATA1 (1.5Gb) and I have noticed that some SATA2 3Gb/s HD can be unstable when connected to the older spec SATA1 controllers - usually the hard drive manufacturer will have a firmware switch or an external jumper on the drive to force the drive down to support SATA1 speeds.

Let me know how you go... good luck Smile

Tony
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Hi TonyT

Was your weekly problem the same as this?

http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=354984

TonyH

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:14 AM
  • Hi Tony H

I'm a bit late coming back - yes those look very much like the symptoms I was having on my old WHS system.  The ML110 G4 was trouble free for 3 weeks, and then one morning after a Volsnap, the dreaded SYS failing message.  Very frustrating....
    Friday, August 8, 2008 1:10 PM
  • I have installed WHS on the Proliant ML-115 G. I installed the drivers from the HP supplied CD and got a single BSOD from the NVIDEA drivers - I think I should have used the Matrox drivers instead. Anyway after that all is working well.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Guys,

I just bought a HP Proliant ML110 G6 and copy of WHS. I just burnt a 1TB HDD which had more than 900 GB worth of pictures, music and videos. I would love to setup a RAID1 on the box. I was hoping that MOBO RAID1 will make the two HDDs transparent to WHS, apparently not. 

Unfortunately, I can not get past the WHS "Could not initialize UI subsystem" with RAID option in BIOS. When I try the "Compatible" mode in BIOS and start the installation, I get a BSOD!

If you got any luck, please share your experience. Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:41 AM