none
PC automatically restored to a year and a half ago RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone- Four different MS techs have never heard of this problem. I'm hoping someone can help.

On Jun 10, 2015, my computer was running fine. I shut it down, and the usual message to not 'shut off computer because updates were being installed' appeared. It did its thing, I went to bed.

The next morning, I turned the computer on. The first strange thing I noticed was that the login screen was a different color than usual. It did not accept my login info until I logged out and back in again. But when it booted up, my desktop was exactly as it had been a long time ago, January of 2014. I know because there were dated icons on the screen.

I went into Outlook. The last deleted email was from Jan 5, 2015. I went into the Recent folder in Word and Powerpoint. The most recent files were from 1-1/2 years ago. Every program I had installed since January of 2014 was missing. My computer had suffered a time warp.

I went to restore. There was a restore point listed for June 7. I thought my troubles were over. When the restoration began, it said there were errors on the C: drive, and those had to be resolved first. After the drive was scanned and 'resolved,' I went back to restore, and I had no restore points. The June 7th one had disappeared.

Most of my files are still on the hard drive. However, one program I use saves backups in its own folders, which disappeared with the program. I went to Carbonite, to see if they were there, and they, for some reason, were last backed up in March. I will pursue this more once I get my computer back, but if that's true, I've lost three months of valuable work that will takes weeks to reinstate. Has anyone heard of this before?

Friday, June 12, 2015 5:19 PM