Client Backup fails with client CPU pegged with low network utilization RRS feed

• Question

• All - 

We are trying to backup an old Windows XP computer connected directly via RJ-45 cable to a 100 Mbps hub.  When we kickoff the backup on the client, the CPU utilization goes to nearly 100% while the network is hardly being used (less than 0.5% - or 0.5 Mbps).  The backup progresses quite slowly (get's up into 10-15% complete) and ultimately fails.

If we copy files directly from the old XP computer to our WHS, it runs as expected with low CPU and much higher network utilization.  I suspect it's the old Windows XP computer and how it runs the WHS Connector software, but I don't really know how to troubleshoot it.  

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Do you have any experience troubleshooting performance issues with the client side software?

PS - yes, we should probably just buy a new computer... but it has the wife's work software on it that we don't know if we can migrate to Win 7!

Thanks,

Regan

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you backed up this machine using Windows Home Server successfully before?

Have your performed a chkdsk on the Windows XP Machine?  You should go to My Computer select each Drive, Right Click->properties->tools->Error Checking->Check Now then check both check boxes and hit start.  On some drives you'll get a warning..... "Do you want to check the drive next time your start" - Answer Yes  - do this for all the drives and then reboot.   Depending on how big and slow (and the condition of the drive) it could take a couple of hours.

Then you might be able to run a backup.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you backed up this machine using Windows Home Server successfully before?

Have your performed a chkdsk on the Windows XP Machine?  You should go to My Computer select each Drive, Right Click->properties->tools->Error Checking->Check Now then check both check boxes and hit start.  On some drives you'll get a warning..... "Do you want to check the drive next time your start" - Answer Yes  - do this for all the drives and then reboot.   Depending on how big and slow (and the condition of the drive) it could take a couple of hours.

Then you might be able to run a backup.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:34 PM
  •  

The error that I got was an unexpected COM error - and then it said something about I/O.  I'll see if chkdsk corrects this....

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Success!  Thanks for the suggestion.  The chkdsk took all night long, and the buckup took over 5 hours, but it completed.  Hopefully the incremental will go a lot faster. 

Still noticing that during the backup, my networkd utilization is only 0.15% of a 100mbps line, but if I copy directly to the server, the netowrk utilization is as high as 50%.  Any thoughts on that?

Rick

Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:27 AM
  • The backup process is not as simlpe as copying data from your PC to the server.  Other operations are in play that do not utilise the network so you will not see high network utilisation for the whole period of the backup.

--
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:13 AM