Disk Defragmenter has a problem in windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to run the defragmenter, I'm told that "Chkdsk/f" is scheduled to run. So I clicked "OK", but nothing happened. I searched in my computer for Chkdsk/f, but it can't be found. So I can't run my defragmenter until I resolve this problem.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 10:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• KevininPittsburgh,

You Chkdsk.Exe checks your disks for errors and doesn't defrag your hard disk.
    If you want to defrag your hard disk you need to use the defrag.exe command.

So for example you want to defrag your C: drive you can use the following syntaxis.
    Defrag C: /F

Kind Regards
    DFT 
    IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the same problem with my Disk Defragmenter. I have always gone to this window and clicked on defrag. ~weekly , but now this window is coming up, it reads:

Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsx/f. is scheduled to run on volum:(C)please run Chkdsx/f.

I'm wondering...could this be from a virous?

Please excuse my communication / language...I am no expert~obviously...

Thank you for any help!

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Truecolors2000,

This article might help you.
    http://pcanswers.techradar.com/blog/stop-chkdsk-on-boot

Kind Regards

DFT

IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:44 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Friday, May 7, 2010 3:01 PM