I cannot restore my backup...... RRS feed

• Question

• while upgrading my computer from Vista HE to Ulimate I wound up having to first take my computer back to its original, out-of-box configuration (HP Slimline).  I had maintained a weekly OneCare backup of all my files - Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher - and backed up my work once a week.  

However, after reinstalling OneCare on my upgraded system, I have come to realize (and have been told on this forum), that for all practical purposes, OneCare simply does not recognize the copy having come from my computer - it is as if I am trying to restore my files on a wholly different computer.

Does this mean I will NEVER be able to recover these files?  When I open OneCare and go to restore, then click on the drive, the disc simply ejects asking for the right backup file.  Luckily, I had backed up all my documents on a flash drive, but I desperately need my Outlook files (records and account info going back years)!  Can someone please advise.  I cannot even explore the backup disk.

ReBell

PS:  I have three different OneCare software programs (the one purchased from the store, not backup) - would it matter if I the OneCare software I used to re-install on my upgraded computer were different from the one I had used originally before I upgraded? 

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:47 PM

Answers

• You should be able to restore from the discs by selecting to perform a custom restore - from another computer - and follow the prompts. Since you upgraded the OS and reinstalled OneCare it *is* a different computer since this OneCare has not created those backups.

If you need help with this, please contact support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:46 AM