Notes for Leads not transferring over when made a Contact in 3.0 r2 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

My company is having an issue with CRM.  When we try to tranfer a lead to a contact, the notes that are associated with the lead are not transferred with it.  We now use Microsoft CRM 3.0 rollup 2.  We were told it was fixed in rollup 2, but it was not.  Does anyone know if it is fixed in 4.0?  

Thanks,

Jeff M.

Friday, May 9, 2008 11:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Jeff,

I'm sorry to inform you that notes do not transfer from Lead to Contact in MSCRM 4.0.  As far as I know this has never been expected functionality as leads and contacts are two separate entities and the point of a relational database is to not have to duplicate records by coping them from one entity to another, they should be viewed by clicking from the Contact back to the Originating Lead and view the notes there.  That's the "out of the box" scenario.

From a user stand point this isn't what they want and most likely is not acceptable.  The way I would fix this problem would be to write a callout (for 3.0) or a plugin (for 4.0) that triggers on the onCreate of a Contact and checks to see if the Originating Lead field is filled in.  If it is, get all notes associated to that Lead and copy them to the newly created Contact.  It should be pretty straight forward, extra work yes, but still possible to give you the solution you want.

Hope this helps,

Fronk

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Fronk is right. You have to make a callout (3.0) or a plugin (4.0) to do this. I'll make a plug-in that can do this and post it on my blog. Ohh wait I don't have a blog. I'll make the plugin and the make me a blog. Stay tuned

Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:05 PM
  • lol i hope your blog comes out by tomorrow then Stick out tongue

Thanks for the reply's, I will try that route, will have to figure out how to do it first heh.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Tomorrow is weekend and I'm having my family over for dinner so no. I'm not gonna make a callout that does this for CRM 3.0 so to use my solution you need to upgrade to 4.0? Are you planning on doing so?

Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:53 PM
  • Only through custom development

Yes, you are right. Notes dont get transfered. You need custom development. You will require to develop an account post-create callout for this purpose.

Monday, May 12, 2008 11:25 AM
  •  

You can now see my solution on how to solve this problem at my website

http://www.dollerupit.dk/transfernotesfromlead.aspx

Enjoy.

/C

Monday, May 12, 2008 10:16 PM
  •  

thats cool. 

wish it was for 3.0 though...one of these day's I'll have to try to create it.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:35 PM
  • jpmuus,

That solution that Christian posted is great.  The modifications to the code to make it compatible with CRM 3.0 would be pretty minimal.  Christian's done most of the leg work for you, hopefully you'll be able to use that code to implement your solution.

Good luck,

Fronk

Friday, May 23, 2008 9:19 PM