Created new folder in shares under windows home server console, using SAME user name but getting permission issues!! RRS feed

• Question

• I created new folder in shares under windows home server console and when I open it I get;

you do not have permission to access "new folder that was created"

This doesn't make any sense I created my user name the same and password aslso for both whs & windows 7 and have permissions (full) for the folder I made!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:47 AM

All replies

• now it just all a suddenly works now, whats the deal?
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:29 PM
  • You logged off, and back on, the PC you were trying to access the share from? Or rebooted it?.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:49 PM
  • As Ken said - it seems to be the case, that the security token is only valid for folders, which already exist at the time of logon. Since the user account on the server and this on the client are not the same (even if they look identical) this is not the same like for a domain user, where the account is really identical.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Well I tried the log off, and reboot the pc, but still didn't get any result , then later that night I shut down the PC for the day and turned it back on later in the day, but I usually leave my pc on for a few days...so ypu saying If i create a new folder in the whs console I need to shutdown my pc for 8 plus hrs to access it, can't be
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:39 PM
  • In general, if you create a share and attempt to access it without granting your user permission, you will get a permission denied error, and will continue to even if you change permissions on the share. Until you log off Windows will have that token cached locally and will refer to it rather than going back to the remote resource. There are other circumstances in which Windows will cache permissions as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:43 PM
  • I did give user permission and reboot the pc
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:03 PM
  • So the following questions apply: Could the FAQ How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested fit to your situation?

Or do time, date, time zone between server and client not match?

Does the user have access to other shares on the server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, July 9, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Or do time, date, time zone between server and client not match? yes they match

Does the user have access to other shares on the server?  yes

Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:32 PM