none
Serious problem - have problem answering in Google Chome - threads stop responding RRS feed

• Question

• I've re-started my PC today. I'm using Google Chrome. Couple of times today when I tried to write a message the MSDN forum thread suddenly stopped responding. Say, last message I posted I tried to post from Google Chrome for about 5 times and it never worked. I now do it from the Internet Explorer.

Not sure, what changed, but it's a very serious problem for me.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 6:52 AM

Answers

• No, apart from a few new recent problems, the original problem is not reproducible.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:14 AM

All replies

• You might get some replies from the MS support team here if you had a better title.

Your title - Serious problem! - doesn't indicate the problem at all. What you need is something like "Can't write messages in the forums when using Chrome".

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 4:35 PM
  • I'm using Google Chrome. Couple of times today when I tried to write a message the MSDN forum thread suddenly stopped responding.

I wonder what Google would have to say?  FWIW I am using GC now too, started yesterday actually, and have already noticed some discrepancies which seem to involve missing or ignored CSS (e.g. the collapse/expand buttons missing in Answers threads pages.)   GC has the equivalent of IE's Developer Tools which you could use for checking on your symptoms.  And you could use Fiddler2 to see what is being transmitted and received.  Also, I found that in one case I couldn't get GC to leave the cursor in an non-quoted area and had to revert to HTML source mode as a workaround.  I have never had to do that with IE.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Sunday, January 2, 2011 4:59 PM
  • I haven't downloaded Fiddler yet, but I got the same error again from GC. I started answering and a page become non-responsive again. Then I saw a message from GC showing this and few other MS links (I have a few BOL links opened) saying that pages are non-responsive and do I want to wait or kill them. I killed the forum page (and right now answering from IE) and left the other links.

I do have ~50 tabs opened in the main GC window (and couple of extra GC windows with ~7 tabs in average), could it be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog
    Monday, January 3, 2011 1:45 AM
  • I do have ~50 tabs opened in the main GC window (and couple of extra GC windows with ~7 tabs in average), could it be a problem?

Try getting rid of them and then you decide?   <eg>   FWIW I would say yes (especially if they are at all active.)   All overhead adds some complexity to the case.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, January 3, 2011 6:22 AM
  • I've re-started my PC and closed several tabs. So far so good with Google Chrome. Hopefully it was a temp glitch. Say, yesterday there were some other strange things happening, say, my Windows theme changed from what I have to plain salad color (and no selected picture / bgi info). Looks like the system was somehow low on resources...

My blog
    Monday, January 3, 2011 2:31 PM
  • I got the same problem with another site now (the one related to my work). In Fiddler I see some strange URL (few times):

http://toolbarqueries.clients.google.com/tbproxy/af/query

and strange automated responses.

Also, I got the errors about some pages

How can I test if this problem is indication of something bad going on?

Thanks again.

And this page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.07.powershell.aspx

can not be loaded - and I hear that Laptop is working hard right now.

I'm able to open this page OK in IE. Do you think I should try uninstalling GC and re-installing it?

My blog
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:44 PM
  • I got this same problem while trying to answer. See this picture http://www.universalthread.com/Thread%20photos/2011/01494460.gif

I don't see anything related to this site in Fiddler. Right now I'm answering again from IE, as I seem to be having only partial luck with GC.

My blog
    Monday, January 3, 2011 6:38 PM
  • I don't see anything related to this site in Fiddler.

One of the problems with using Fiddler is that apps may try to bypass its proxy.   You would have to use a real packet tracer such as  WireShark  or  NetMon  to check if that was the case.

Coincidentally today I ran into timeout symptoms like yours and I think the reason is that I was playing with hardware.   I am currently using a horribly underpowered NT4 class machine with XP (my tablet is out for repair) and tried adding a PCI sound card to it.   It sounded horrible until I turned off my modem (which is hooked up to the MB's USB port).  And my timeout symptoms cleared up once I disabled and finally removed the sound card.   ; )

The conclusions I can draw from this experience is that it is a practical justification what I have been asserting for years about Windows and IE: there are insufficient network diagnostics in it and insufficient network tuning capabilities which some might want to try to use even though they would just be taking stabs at solving their symptoms with no clear justification for what they were trying without some supporting instrumentation.

One good thing about Fiddler is that it can help avoid or at least detect these timeout symptoms.   I think that apps probably have different timeout handling when a proxy is involved.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Robert,

I don't know what exactly happens here, but to me it sounds like some sort of local corruption. I found yesterday this page but haven't tried following the recommendations yet. IE seems to work OK (so I'm using IE now for few sites where I experienced the troubles). The connection speed is OK. So far two sites showed the behavior in Google Chrome - this one and also my work Footprints.

My blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Still having this problem in Chrome?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:01 AM
    Owner
  • No, apart from a few new recent problems, the original problem is not reproducible.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:14 AM