Can't find external hard drive to bck up to. RRS feed

• Question

• I changed my back up drive from a 80BG to a 250 GB and the One Care backup can not find the drive.  I have formated to the drive to NTSF and have back up up my system using Windows Vista on the drive.  One care came up and said that I should use One Care back up.  I have been having trouble trying to select the drive so I backed it up using both.  I would like to initiate a back up using one care but it can not find the drive..................I have tried several times to reconfigure Live Care but the drive does not appear.  What is wrong.

Friday, December 5, 2008 9:13 PM

Answers

• Did you have backup configured previously to another destination? If so, reset your backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

When you plugged in the new external drive, did you install any offered software that was on the drive? Other backup software could conflict with OneCare's ability to access the drive.

If you are still unable to use the drive for backup, but can see the drive and access it in Windows Explorer, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:13 PM

All replies

• I am having this same problem.  I have the Western Digital Passport Essential Drive (500GB) and Live Care can't find the drive, even when it's plugged and ready to go. 

What's going on here, Microsoft???
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 8:24 AM
  • Did you have backup configured previously to another destination? If so, reset your backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

When you plugged in the new external drive, did you install any offered software that was on the drive? Other backup software could conflict with OneCare's ability to access the drive.

If you are still unable to use the drive for backup, but can see the drive and access it in Windows Explorer, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Many thanks Stephen, yhe process you outline works well. It is worth being aware that sometimes an external USB drive seems to get lost by OneCare, I had been trying for months to understand why a drive that had previously worked well no longer backed up for OneCare but was visible to Windows Vista. Running the process above fixed it. I suspect that I changed the USB port that the drive was attached to, and that was the root cause of the problem.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Glad that it helped. Yes, if you disconnect and reconnect the drive and it gets assigned a new drive letter (sometimes just a new port, as you noted!) OneCare thinks it is not the same drive and the backup plan is now invalid.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:43 PM