none
WHS and Microsoft Security Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I subscribed to Windows OneCare and like the centralized monitoring of other client workstations. OneCare is being sunsetted and Security Essentials is now GA. Switching loses that central monitoring but WHS seems to issue network health warnings when AV a firewall is off. Am I correct in think that if I switch all computers to MSE, WHS will provide the same AV/FW monitoring?

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:48 AM

Answers

• This is true for any home computer security solution: If it reports through the Security Center then yes, your home computer's AV status will be monitored. If it replaces the Security Center, then Windows Home Server will probably generate network health warnings even if your security solution is working properly, because Windows Home Server won't see any signs of that.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ChrisCowles Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:28 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:07 PM

All replies

• This is true for any home computer security solution: If it reports through the Security Center then yes, your home computer's AV status will be monitored. If it replaces the Security Center, then Windows Home Server will probably generate network health warnings even if your security solution is working properly, because Windows Home Server won't see any signs of that.
    • Marked as answer by ChrisCowles Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:28 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:07 PM
  • I've seen other posts about MSE beta causing out-date messages, and the GA release correcting that. I assume the GA release behaves properly with respect to Security Center and conclude that MSE is a satisfactory replacement for OneCare, with respect to monitoring other workstations on the network. (I don't want to get into debates about which AV is best.)

OneCare also reported when Microsoft updates were available but not applied. Does WHS do the same? Is that monitored by Security Center?
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:32 PM
  • No, Windows Home Server doesn't monitor update status on your client computers.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Sounds like a task for an Add-In.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:55 AM