Is there a way to get Win 8 work with WHS 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I installed Win 8 on one of our home machines and wasn't sure if it would work with WHS (2007). Trying to install the WHS connector stopped with this message:

The operation cannot be completed at this time.
    Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

Indeed the problem persisted and as WHS 2007 is out of support it doesn't make sense to contact Product Support.

Probably I am trying something impossible. But still, would like to know it it is impossible or not.

Thanx for your help in advance.

Luc van Vugt, Imtech ICT Never Stop Learning

Sunday, January 6, 2013 1:26 PM

Answers

• To conclude this thread: I found out that the CD containing the connector software was not OK anymore. Couldn't see that it was really damaged, but found out by running the software from the share where I had apparently stored a copy. Everything is running fine now.

Sven, once more thanx for your help.

It's unlikely the CD was damaged, but the connector software is upgraded with each WHS PowerPack update, and must match the server version in order to work.  When WHS is updated (via Windows Update), an updated client connector is also copied to the \\Server\Software share.  The intent is that you always install clients from the version that is hosted on the server; in this way, you are always installing the latest correct version.

This is obviously quite an easy error to make, so Microsoft improved this in WHS 2011 by changing the client installation to a browser-based installer.

• Edited by Gary Voth Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Luc van VugtMVP Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:09 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The following article describes the issues with connecting Windows 8 to WHS 2011. It also includes a link to a issues with WHS v1, but unfortunately, that page is no longer found.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7875.guidance-when-connecting-windows-8-beta-to-windows-small-business-server-2011-essentials-windows-storage-server-2008-r2-essentials-and-windows-home-server-2011-en-us.aspx

Enabling the .Net framework 3.5 is definetely something I would check for WHS v1 as well.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Luc van VugtMVP Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Hi Sven,

I am responding to my own post as clicking Reply to your post doesn't give me an editor to write in.

Thanx for your reply. The post you refer to looked promissing anbd as indicated (and advised by you) I did enable .Net framework 3.5, but to no avail. I still can not get the connector software installed. I am stil stuck.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:36 PM
  • To conclude this thread: I found out that the CD containing the connector software was not OK anymore. Couldn't see that it was really damaged, but found out by running the software from the share where I had apparently stored a copy. Everything is running fine now.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Hello Luc,

How did you solve the issue of connecting a system running on w8 pro with a WHS 2011?

You talk about a CD with connecting software. Is this on the recovering PC CD?

I could not find it.

Thanks for you help. (je mag ook in het NL reageren)

Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Jos,

I do not have WHS 2011, but WHS v1 (or as I called it in the title WHS 2007).

For that I used the connector software which is part of the WHS v1 package.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:29 AM

It's unlikely the CD was damaged, but the connector software is upgraded with each WHS PowerPack update, and must match the server version in order to work.  When WHS is updated (via Windows Update), an updated client connector is also copied to the \\Server\Software share.  The intent is that you always install clients from the version that is hosted on the server; in this way, you are always installing the latest correct version.

This is obviously quite an easy error to make, so Microsoft improved this in WHS 2011 by changing the client installation to a browser-based installer.

• Edited by Gary Voth Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Luc van VugtMVP Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:09 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Thanx for this info. Learned something new. And marked your answer "As Answer".

b rg

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Hi Gary,

Thanx for this info. Learned something new. And marked your answer "As Answer".

b rg

You're welcome. 😊
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 7:47 PM