Best Way to move or copy files on the WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello folks:
     As I am slowly figuring out WHS I find myself moving or copying a lot of folders around.

This off course involves moving the information to my Laptop from WHS, and back from my Laptop to the new location on the WHS.

Obviously this is not an effecient way of doing this.

Can someone please help me understand how to do local folder\file activities?

Safely would be better of course, but I am willing to live a little on the edge ;-)

Thanks
    Monday, November 17, 2008 10:23 PM

All replies

• If you want to move files "locally" on your WHS you can move them between the folders in D:\shares.

Although not officially supported this should cause no problems, as long as you maintain sufficient free space on the D partition of your primary drive. If you fill it up too far WHS will run into problems when it tries to move files away from the D partition to the final storage location(s) on the secondary storage drives. Please read the Technical brief Drive Extender to understand how WHS storage works.

Personally I think you should first make a decent plan before you start moving files around.
    • Marked as answer by Speedycc Monday, November 17, 2008 11:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:58 AM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, and even more for the article reference.

And yes, I will make a plan. It is just right now I am trying to understand the ins and outs of WHS.

Monday, November 17, 2008 11:36 PM
  • More interesting articles can be found on Windows Home Server Support Website, especially Technical Briefs are interesting if you want to learn about the ins and outs of WHS
    Monday, November 17, 2008 11:46 PM
  • brubber said:

If you want to move files "locally" on your WHS you can move them between the folders in D:\shares.

Although not officially supported this should cause no problems, as long as you maintain sufficient free space on the D partition of your primary drive. If you fill it up too far WHS will run into problems when it tries to move files away from the D partition to the final storage location(s) on the secondary storage drives. Please read the Technical brief Drive Extender to understand how WHS storage works.

Personally I think you should first make a decent plan before you start moving files around.

Brubber, I would suggest you not offer this as a solution any more.  I have found a very serious problem moving files between D:\shares.  I tried moving various wmv files using this method and they do not work when streaming to an XBox 360.  I still need to try other file types, but I doubt they will be much better results-wise.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:58 AM
  • Confused here.

If moving files "Locally (logged on directly or via remote desktop?)" on WHS causes problems and why should it, why not move them from a client and let WHS sort out where it puts them? Surely this can not be a problem?

Phil
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:41 AM
  • PhilipJH said:

Confused here.

If moving files "Locally (logged on directly or via remote desktop?)" on WHS causes problems and why should it, why not move them from a client and let WHS sort out where it puts them? Surely this can not be a problem?

Phil

What brubber meant by locally is not using a UNC path at all.  He meant for a user to logon to the server desktop and move data by going to D:\shares (which is unsupported).  Before Power Pack 1, this was known to cause problems because WHS handles files differently than OSes (due to the way it pools all hard drives in the background, making it appear as one big drive to the end user).  Now, it does appear to be more forgiving, except when dealing with (at least) an XBox 360 and wmv files (the wmv files that were not streamable on my XBox 360 were in fact playable on my computer; go figure).  I still haven't tested other scenarios/file types with the XBox 360, but I did enough testing of wmv files to be convinced that it's a bad idea.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:02 AM
  • I use the free tool Synctoy to create a duplicate area of My Documents on my WHS. This is so that I can access my files remotely. It all works seamlessly, the only downside being a short delay while files on my desktop PC are sync'd with WHS at log on.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:52 AM