Computer is gone but I have some old LOC backups on another machine RRS feed

• Question

• A.   I was a LOC subscriber and I backed up my XP machine until my subscription ended. My computer was stolen and I just discovered the backups on another machine in my LAN (XP Home). I do not know if there was a hub machine or not when I had the subscription.  The backups' directories and files are named and located as follows:

• Backup Directory
    •    Windows OneCare Backup
    •       Name
    •             Catalogs
    •    Windows OneCare Backup
    •       Name
    •             Catalogs
    •             Files

B.   In the Catalogs directories are primarily files named Part x.ZIP.catalog [in 2008, x running consecutively from 1 to 515; in 2009, 1 to 1182]. There is no Files directory for 2008, but the 2009 Files directory contains files named Part x.ZIP [x running consecutively from 1 to 1182].

C.   Both the Catalog and File directories also have files at the top that are named similarly as follows:

DO_NOT_DELETE_SES_{0A8D1B49-DD3D-4EFA-B9E6-1FC82733EAE7}, with the Catalog directory having an identically named file for each such File directory file, with the addition of .catalog on the end of each.

D.   I discovered and installed the OneCareBackupRestore.exe tool at http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/support/default.htm.

E.   I looked at a number of articles on the forum website. None I saw were helpful.

F.   PROBLEM:

1. It didn't work. First, I tried to restore the backups to another directory on the same machine.
    2. Then I tried to restore them to another machine on the LAN (XP Professional) from the first machine.
    3. Then I went to the second machine, installed the tool on that machine and that didn't work.
    4. So, I decided to install LOC itself (after having to uninstall the restore tool) on the second machine (that is, the one not containing the backup files listed above) but it still would not let me backup to that second machine (from the second machine).
    5. Each of the above attempts went through a process where I was to select the location of the "backup" and "restore" but when I did so (or thought I did so) it said I couldn't do it from or to there. (It was never clear to me from the wording which was the "backup" (ie: source) location and which was the "restore" (ie: destination) location.
    6. At any rate, I wasted a lot of time on two different computers getting nowhere.

G.   QUESTION:

1. What do I need to do?
    2. What directory do I point the program to (assuming the program actually works)? I assume that the absence of the 2008 File directory means the 2008 Catalog directory is worthless. So in 2009, do I choose as the source (and is it called backup or restore?) the Windows OneCare Backup directory? its Name subdirectory? its 2009 subdirectory? or one of its two subdirectories (Catalogs or Files)?
    3. Is there any way to gauge how much space I will need on the destination location based on the sizes of the .ZIP or .catalog directories?
    Thank you for your help. I apologize if this was answered elsewhere and I didn't locate it.
    Garyala
    Friday, November 12, 2010 5:41 AM

Answers

• You have two choices -

1. Contact support for help with getting the restore tool to work (which may be futile if the backup files were copied from a network location) or

2. Manually extract your data

For number 1, How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

For number 2, as you've seen, the backups are stored in .zip files. These files can be opened and the contents extracted using WinZip or other 3rd party compression tool that can handle .zip files. Once you have extracted the files, some larger files ma have been split between zips. These will need to be re-joined. Rename these files to have extensions of .000, .001, .002, .003 etc. for each set. Then use this free utility to join then back together: File rejoin utility - http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, November 12, 2010 12:10 PM

All replies

• You have two choices -

1. Contact support for help with getting the restore tool to work (which may be futile if the backup files were copied from a network location) or

2. Manually extract your data

For number 1, How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

For number 2, as you've seen, the backups are stored in .zip files. These files can be opened and the contents extracted using WinZip or other 3rd party compression tool that can handle .zip files. Once you have extracted the files, some larger files ma have been split between zips. These will need to be re-joined. Rename these files to have extensions of .000, .001, .002, .003 etc. for each set. Then use this free utility to join then back together: File rejoin utility - http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, November 12, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Oh, and to answer your specific questions:

1. Previous reply has the what to do answers.

2. You would point to the Windows Live OneCare Backup folder and the program should then list the available backups within. You select one and it tells you what to do next.

3. No, you can't determine this easily. If you open each .zip file it will tell you the compression level, and you can start calculating, but I wouldn't bother.

-steve

Friday, November 12, 2010 12:13 PM
  • Thanks very much, Steve. I'll get to it in the next few days and let you know how it works.
    Garyala
    Friday, November 12, 2010 9:21 PM