ACHI & WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone having any problems using ACHI? I just installed my 5 stat drive into port 4 of my Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H and had to switch from IDE to ACHI as its the only way to get ports 4 & 5 working. So I had to install drivers to see the drive working. Anyway I woke up this morning with one of those drives missing, I shutdown the server and restarted it and the drive came back, so therefore I am wondering if there are any problems with ACHI?

Henry
    HMG
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:39 AM

All replies

• It's AHCI and I don't think there is any problems with it in general in Windows Home Server other than a lot of SATA controllers are not recognised during install.  Have you run a chkdsk on all your drives?
    --
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:27 AM
  • all drives have been healthy and fine for the past 2 months since I upgraded the server hardware, the last one only had 4 sata ports, this motherboard has 6, so I had 4 hdds in the first 4 slots, so obviously they were ok until I changed it from IDE to AHCI then during last night one drive, went missing so I restarted the server this morning and it came back on, and been working for the past 4 hours.
    HMG
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:02 AM
  • It may have been a random fault that won't repeat. If it does happen again, I would think a hardware issue is most likely (failing drive) followed by driver, then back to hardware (cables, HBA, etc.)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:27 PM
  • It obviously wasnt it fault that wont repeat because it has. I know its not the drives as I said everything was perfect until I switched to AHCI, so at present I have swaped it back to IDE and plugged the 6th hdd into a SATA card, just need to wait and see now
    HMG
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Could also be the power supply, which may have limited capabilities to support the amount of disks spinning up at same time. Or some cable, which was not perfectly seated ...
    Maybe install the Home Server Smart Add-In, which allows you to take a look to the SMART information of the single hard disks from the console.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:21 PM
  • well its not a Power Supply Problem, since changing it from AHCI back to Native IDE and putting the 6th HDD onto the PCI Sata card, I have not had any problem (Touch Wood) but that means I cannot use the last 2 Sata ports on my motherboard which are SATA 2, instead I have to use the ones on the PCI Cards which are SATA 1.
    HMG
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:48 PM