What happened to the ClientRestore application in WHS2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Not that long ago I finally made the switch from the original WHS to WHS 2011. In the original WHS there was a program available in the WHS directory which ran under Windows and would allow you to restore a backed up partition(s)  to a hard drive available on the client PC.

For example, if the stand alone network restore failed you could go to any client PC with the connector software installed. Put the hard drive to be restored in a USB docking station (I used the Thermaltake BlacX) and run this program to restore any (or all) partitions from the WHS backup to the hard drive.

I don't remember the exact program name. It was something like ClientRestore???.exe. It doesn't seem to be available in WHS 2011. It was a great alternative to have if the standalone network restore failed.

Is it gone? Or under a new name? Any help will be appreciated!

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:18 PM

Answers

• I discovered that there's an easier way to get the clientrestorewizard.exe and associated files.

1. Open dashboard and select computers and backup
    2. Under computers and backup tasks select additional client computer backup tasks
    3. Select tools tab and under computer recovery create key

If you then put a USB key in the server and continue it will create a bootable USB drive equivalent to the client restore CD.

However, you can also plug the USB key in any client PC. Then go to the appropriate X86/X64 directory and run the clientrestorewizard.exe directly from the USB key under Windows 7. As you would expect it works just the same as the stand alone restore. Of course, you can only restore to drives available on the client PC where it is running. Including HDD/SSD drives in a USB docking station. 

Just thought I would update the thread in case anyone else needed this capability. 

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:30 PM
  • It's still there but not on the client - it's hidden away on the Server and needs to be copied over to a convenient location on your Client, along with the other files in the same directory.

Try here:

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_clientbackup-restorecd_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.8800.16400_none_789769c25fdfd782

There are different versions depending on your client OS - the one above is for 64-bit W7.

The file clientrestorewizard.exe was modified on 3rd November 2012.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Monday, March 18, 2013 11:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:09 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 11:21 PM

All replies

• It's still there but not on the client - it's hidden away on the Server and needs to be copied over to a convenient location on your Client, along with the other files in the same directory.

Try here:

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_clientbackup-restorecd_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.8800.16400_none_789769c25fdfd782

There are different versions depending on your client OS - the one above is for 64-bit W7.

The file clientrestorewizard.exe was modified on 3rd November 2012.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Monday, March 18, 2013 11:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:09 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 11:21 PM
  • I discovered that there's an easier way to get the clientrestorewizard.exe and associated files.

1. Open dashboard and select computers and backup
    2. Under computers and backup tasks select additional client computer backup tasks
    3. Select tools tab and under computer recovery create key

If you then put a USB key in the server and continue it will create a bootable USB drive equivalent to the client restore CD.

However, you can also plug the USB key in any client PC. Then go to the appropriate X86/X64 directory and run the clientrestorewizard.exe directly from the USB key under Windows 7. As you would expect it works just the same as the stand alone restore. Of course, you can only restore to drives available on the client PC where it is running. Including HDD/SSD drives in a USB docking station. 

Just thought I would update the thread in case anyone else needed this capability. 

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:30 PM