Wanting to backup laptop data, but what option is the right one? RRS feed

• Question

• Since purchasing my HP laptop, I've used Windows OneCare for backup to DVD's, but finding it cumbersome, didn't backup all that often.  Was just sold a Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1Tb External HD, but backup management software included with drive not compatable with 64-bit Vista.  I was able to download update from Seagate which fixed this problem.  Now I have Windows Live OneCare wanting to backup once a week, the Seagate Backup Manager s/w wanting to backup every day, and the manual option in Windows backup in Contol Panel.  In speaking with a "techie", he suggested I forget them all and simply cut and paste anything I want to backup, that way, you're assured nothing is missed.  So which of these options is the BEST backup method?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:06 PM

Answers

• Personally, I'd use the Seagate backup software as OneCare will stop working when your subscription ends.

I wouldn't use the Windows backup as it is pretty limited.

You can disable the OneCare backup notice by changing your backup plan.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:13 PM

All replies

• Personally, I'd use the Seagate backup software as OneCare will stop working when your subscription ends.

I wouldn't use the Windows backup as it is pretty limited.

You can disable the OneCare backup notice by changing your backup plan.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Oh, and the "techie" advice is not bad if you remember to manually copy *all* data that you want to have a backup copy of. However, you're bound to forget something. Backup programs automate this for you. The biggest part is configuring it and confirming that it works. Once that's done, it runs on a schedule and, depending on the features of the software, provides you with backups that might span multiple versions of file changes over time that you can restore as needed or recover everything to the latest version in the event of a hardware failure.
    -steve
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:17 PM