none
WHS Console - Left-handed mouse? RRS feed

Answers

• dlorde said:

Can I get the WHS Console to work with a left-handed mouse? If so, how?

You can setup your mouse to be a right handed mouse, remote (RDP) into your server, and then setup the mouse on the server to be a left handed mouse. Once you've done that, set the mouse back up to be a left handed mouse on the client.

The problem is that the console is actually on the server. So you're seeing the server side of things when you launch the console.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:53 PM
  • To connect to your home server using Remote Desktop:
    • On any PC on your network, open the Run dialog (on Vista it's the multi-purpose text area), type MSTSC.EXE and press Enter.
    • Type the name of your server and press Enter.
    • You may be prompted with a security warning; click through.
    • When asked for a user name and password, enter Administrator as the user name, and the WHS Console password as the password.
    • You'll see a warning that you shouldn't use Remote Desktop to connect to your server. Take this to heart, becuase there are tools that could cause serious problems available, and some of those tools will seem innocuous. You won't be using any.
    • Change the moue on the server to left-handed operation in the normal way.
    • Log off the server.
    I'll point out that this changes the mouse behavior for all users of the WHS console on your home network, because the console is an applicaiton running on your server, and presented on client PCs using a Remote Desktop connection.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Olaf EngelkeModerator Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by dlorde Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:16 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:43 PM

All replies

• dlorde said:

Can I get the WHS Console to work with a left-handed mouse? If so, how?

You can setup your mouse to be a right handed mouse, remote (RDP) into your server, and then setup the mouse on the server to be a left handed mouse. Once you've done that, set the mouse back up to be a left handed mouse on the client.

The problem is that the console is actually on the server. So you're seeing the server side of things when you launch the console.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Thanks for the response, but, pardon my ignorance, how do I "remote (RDP)" into my server?

If you were referring to Remote Desktop Connection, I set up my WHS user to be allowed Remote Access, and tried to log in with Remote Desktop Connection, but it told me I must be granted the 'Allow logon through Terminal Services' right or be a member of the 'Remote Users Group', neither of which can I see in the WHS Console settings...

Is there a step-by-step novices guide somewhere? I can use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to my PC at work without problems, but I can't access my own home server :(
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:30 PM
  • To connect to your home server using Remote Desktop:
    • On any PC on your network, open the Run dialog (on Vista it's the multi-purpose text area), type MSTSC.EXE and press Enter.
    • Type the name of your server and press Enter.
    • You may be prompted with a security warning; click through.
    • When asked for a user name and password, enter Administrator as the user name, and the WHS Console password as the password.
    • You'll see a warning that you shouldn't use Remote Desktop to connect to your server. Take this to heart, becuase there are tools that could cause serious problems available, and some of those tools will seem innocuous. You won't be using any.
    • Change the moue on the server to left-handed operation in the normal way.
    • Log off the server.
    I'll point out that this changes the mouse behavior for all users of the WHS console on your home network, because the console is an applicaiton running on your server, and presented on client PCs using a Remote Desktop connection.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf EngelkeModerator Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:00 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Yep, that did it :-)

Many thanks once again Ken, I'd never have found MSTSC.EXE myself.

This must be one of the top support forums around - I only know one other with such quick and helpful responses (my ISP's -  IDNetters.co.uk). What a pleasant surprise!

Dave

• Unmarked as answer by dlorde Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:16 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:16 PM
  • MSTSC = MicroSoft Terminal Services Client.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:06 PM