"What If" on hard drive failure RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to find the answer to this, though, I'd imagine it's been asked many times.

I am planning a WHS install with quantity 2, 1 TB drives.  I understand the first drive will have the WHS software on it (20 gb) in a separate partition, and the rest will be data partition. I also understand when I add the 2nd 1 TB drive, it will just 'add' that to the total hard disk space. And not even show an additional drive letter. it will just add it to the total Data drive.

My question.  If I put the folder duplication on for everything, essentially, I'll have copies of everything on both physical disks.  Now, what if the 1st disk dies.  At that point, I'll have no OS.  Can I put the 2nd disk in another PC and access the data?  Is the data able to be accessed outside of WHS at all?  Or would I have to get a new drive, install WHS on it again, and pray that the data on drive 2 would still be accessible?

I'm really confused on this....

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:27 AM

Answers

• I can't seem to find the answer to this, though, I'd imagine it's been asked many times.

I am planning a WHS install with quantity 2, 1 TB drives.  I understand the first drive will have the WHS software on it (20 gb) in a separate partition, and the rest will be data partition. I also understand when I add the 2nd 1 TB drive, it will just 'add' that to the total hard disk space. And not even show an additional drive letter. it will just add it to the total Data drive.

My question.  If I put the folder duplication on for everything, essentially, I'll have copies of everything on both physical disks.  Now, what if the 1st disk dies.  At that point, I'll have no OS.  Can I put the 2nd disk in another PC and access the data?

As long as the PC knows what NTFS is, yes.  WHS creates partitions on the hard drives using the NTFS file system.

Is the data able to be accessed outside of WHS at all?  Or would I have to get a new drive, install WHS on it again, and pray that the data on drive 2 would still be accessible?

You could do that as well.  Just replace the old primary drive with a new one and perform a Server Reinstallation.

I'm really confused on this....

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:38 AM