Remote Desktop Connection to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I can connect to my WHS remotely and locally with no problems.  When I connect using the FQDN, I cannot perform a Remote Desktop Connection to WHS through the console.  I always get a timeout.  When I am at home I get the same problem.  However, when I connect using the server name, at home, I can perform the Remote Desktop Connection to WHS through the console.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

TIA
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:36 PM

Answers

• Problem resolved.  After opening port 4125 to my WHS I am now able to use the Remote Desktop through the web connection.  Thanks all for your responses.
    • Marked as answer by ihayesjr Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:06 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:06 PM

All replies

• When you're not at home, what location(s) are you trying to connect from? At home, it may just be that your router can't "loop back" to your server through it's WAN interface; this isn't a problem, really.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:50 PM
  • I am connect from work.  So I am using the domain name I setup for it in the remote desktop wizard.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Try from a location other than your office. It's very likely that your employer blocks many ports, including the one that the Remote Access web site uses for the console.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:39 AM
  • Nope.  Not the case.  It is the dynamic port used for the remote desktop connection.  I perform real Remote Desktop connections from work all the time.

See my comments here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/0af7259e-60bb-4c90-a320-77aa64b63428
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Nope.  Not the case.  It is the dynamic port used for the remote desktop connection.  I perform real Remote Desktop connections from work all the time.

See my comments here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/0af7259e-60bb-4c90-a320-77aa64b63428
    WHS doesn't use the standard port for RDC (port 3389).  It uses the port for Remote Web Workplace (port 4125).  As Ken suggested, please try it from another location (or contact your IT department and see if they are blocking 4125).
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Just try from a location other than your home or office. Perhaps a local Starbucks? The local branch of your public library?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:13 AM
  • If I understand you correctly, I have to open port 4125 through my home firewall and route it to which computer?  The WHS, a computer at home or both.  Most home routers only has the capability of routing a single port to a single ip not a single port to multiple ips.

My company isn't blocking any ports.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Problem resolved.  After opening port 4125 to my WHS I am now able to use the Remote Desktop through the web connection.  Thanks all for your responses.
    • Marked as answer by ihayesjr Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:06 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:06 PM