Multiple profiles on Windows 7 Home prem. and matching them with Home Server 2011 for seamless logons? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client that wants to have seamless logons (with different levels of permissions) from his Win 7 Home Prem. machines to his newly installed WHS 2011.  And would like when logging out or switching users, the levels of access be switched accordingly for the current logged user.

With different folders/shares on the WHS 2011, and different permissions on them, can this be done?

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:19 PM

Answers

• You create a user on the server to match each user on the client, then set security for each server user as required. This is standard NT security, just with a prettier wrapper.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 11, 2011 1:23 PM

All replies

• You create a user on the server to match each user on the client, then set security for each server user as required. This is standard NT security, just with a prettier wrapper.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply....

I have been a Windows guy for many years now.  I did that! but the Launchpad app, pops up and prompts for a username/password.  Without entering the credentials, the user has no access to the shares/files on WHS 2011.  This client would like it to be as seamless as possible.

The name change for the default user, does not change the logon id, or does it? 

I may have answered my own question......

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:29 PM
  • And another question....

I checked the box that said remember the username/password on the Launchpad window...

It then used that logon for all profiles on the Win. 7 HP desktop... How can I logoff the Launchpad app and logon with another username/pass?

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Something wrong there. You do not even need the Connector to be installed to access your shares. When using Windows Explorer, it uses your Windows logon credentials to validate and provides the access rights as per your definition via the Dashboard. Make sure the User Name on Client and Server are the same, with the same password.

"I checked the box that said remember the username/password on the Launchpad window...

It then used that logon for all profiles on the Win. 7 HP desktop... How can I logoff the Launchpad app and logon with another username/pass?"

Click the Launchpad Down Arrow "Options" and check the "Remember Password" box. If you log on to the client as a different user, the Launchpad does not remember what you entered for the previous user.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply....

The Launchpad windows now, automattically come up and logs in as the saved user.  I did not see a place/setting to change or logoff from it. Am I missing something here.

Doug Phillips Automation Design + Entertainment
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Doug

I am away from my system at the moment so can't check, but from recollection, the Launchpad has 3 icons in the upper right hand corner, an "x" to close it, "_" to minimise and a "down arrow" which is Settings. I thought you could clear the "Remember Me" checkbox there.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Thanks Phil for the response...

I will have to check again when back on the clients site tomorrow.  We have a power outage here and quite a few are with out power.

I do not remember the down arrow/settings icon...

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:58 PM
  • I am away from my system at the moment so can't check, but from recollection, the Launchpad has 3 icons in the upper right hand corner, an "x" to close it, "_" to minimise and a "down arrow" which is Settings. I thought you could clear the "Remember Me" checkbox there.

Philip, you don't get the down arrow until you're signed in; then it's there. One other thing I've discovered is that Launchpad uses only your first name for signing in; if you use your full name (which is what I entered when I installed WHS 2011), you'll get an error. Further, you're not informed that your name will be truncated by Launchpad! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nancy Ward
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Nancy

Yes agreed about needing to be logged in to see the down arrow (which is why I can't check!). Are you sure about the first name only - I use my Christian Name "space" Surname and that works fine.

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:38 PM
  • On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:32:47 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

One other thing I've discovered is that Launchpad uses only your first name for signing in; if you use your full name (which is what I entered when I installed WHS 2011), you'll get an error. Further, you're not informed that your name will be truncated by Launchpad! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Launchpad most definitely does not truncate your user name. It uses the
    user name you specified when creating the account in the first place. If
    you'd looked at the screen when creating the account in the first place
    you'd have noticed that the default User account name is the text you
    entered in the First name text box. If you wanted to use for full name
    for logging onto the server then you should have adjusted the User account
    name
    when you first created the account. If that's still the name you want
    to use then simply delete the existing account and create a new one
    correctly this time.
    No offense intended here, but the problem here is user error, it is not
    something that WHS 2011 overall did, nor is it something Launchpad is
    doing. WHS 2011 is simply using the account name you specified when you
    first created it.

Default:

What you should have done:

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Variables won't; constants aren't.  -- Osborn

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Yes agreed about needing to be logged in to see the down arrow (which is why I can't check!). Are you sure about the first name only - I use my Christian Name "space" Surname and that works fine.

Yep, I'm quite sure. And now, with Paul's explanation, I know why it happened.

I don't like the way WHS 2011 does that, but I'll be sure to watch it next time I install, which will be pretty soon. It's like you can't even trust software any more. I'm surprised it didn't want me to install the "Google Bar", since everything else you get does. :) I do watch those sneaky installations though.

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:32 AM
  • On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:32:48 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

I don't like the way WHS 2011 does that, but I'll be sure to watch it next time I install, which will be pretty soon. It's like you can't even trust software any more

Sorry but I fail to see how neglecting to read a page in a wizard which is
    quite clearly labeled equates to software you can't trust. As I said, WHS
    2011 did exactly what you told it to do.
    Also, this has nothing to do with the installation process as user account
    creation occurs post-install. If you want to fix the problem, delete the
    current account and create a new one.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Portable:  Survives system reboot.

• Edited by Paul Adare Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:04 AM typo
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the dialog.  The pass-thru permissions works just great on my clients WHS 2011 (from a Win7-64bit HP client) when the server is removed from the Homegroup.

The Launchpad comes up, logs in as the current user, and permissions on WHS 2011 match.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:20 PM