No Windows 7 installation disk with new laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just bought a new Sony VAIO with Windows 7 preinstalled on it. It came with no reinstallation media. The only way to restore the system is by creating  "Recovery Media", which is just an image that can be used to restore the disk to its state at the time of its creation. As I will need to do a proper reinstallation of Windows 7, I requested Sony to send me the Windows 7 installation disk. They replied:

"Microsoft doesn´t authorize us to send them or use them, all our softwares come preinstalled and we tell all our customers to make a recovery cd from they computer."

Does Microsoft really not allow Sony to ship Windows 7 (re)installation disks with their products?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Karoly

Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:32 AM

Answers

• "Karoly_1" wrote in message news:9b15e760-2bab-4d51-9541-ac423e0540a4...

Hello,

I just bought a new Sony VAIO with Windows 7 preinstalled on it. It came with no reinstallation media. The only way to restore the system is by creating  "Recovery Media", which is just an image that can be used to restore the disk to its state at the time of its creation. As I will need to do a proper reinstallation of Windows 7, I requested Sony to send me the Windows 7 installation disk. They replied:

"Microsoft doesn´t authorize us to send them or use them, all our softwares come preinstalled and we tell all our customers to make a recovery cd from they computer."

Does Microsoft really not allow Sony to ship Windows 7 (re)installation disks with their products?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Karoly

That's correct - at least in a way. Sony are required by their contract with MS to provide a means of recovering the system to the state in which it originally shipped. The only means to do that is by using the recovery disks.

There is no reason, however, why you should not borrow a genuine Windows 7 disk (Full Retail) of the same edition that is shipped with your PC, and make a copy of it. You can then use that disk to install 7, using the Key on your COA sticker.
    I do NOT recommend using downloaded disks - they all too often have malware hidden on them, which can ruin your 'experience' (I hate that word!) and potentially steal your identity.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:20 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:22 AM