WHS wired to wireless router network..can I connect to WHS wirelessly? RRS feed

• Question

• I am very new to networking and just setup WHS on my secondary PC. I have it connected to my wireless router via a network cable. I can access the shared drive on my wired desktop that is also connected to the wireless router via a network cable. I have 3 netbooks/notebooks that connect to my router wirelessly and I want to be able to allow them to access the WHS shared drive as well. Is this possible? I can type in \\Server into the address bar of a wirelessly connected netbook and it does pop up a prompt box labeled "Windows Security" and says

Enter Network Password

Enter your password to connect to: server

This tells me that is sees the WHS network shared drive and just needs to allow access to it, from which I have tried every user account that I set up in WHS. All I get every time is "Logon failure:unknown user name or bad password." I even went back to the WHS machine, changed the password, and tried again. Any ideas?

Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:56 AM

All replies

• It's possible that your router is configured to separate the wireless from the wired network. You'll need to check your router's manual to determine if it can do this, and if so, how you change the configuration to prevent it from happening.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Have you added the new computer to the Windows Home Server by using the Connector software?

To access \\server\shares you require to have a username and password on the server that is *exactly* the same as on the client PC - if you run the Connector software it will do this for you, if not you will have to enter a username and password that already exists on the server.

--
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:27 PM