Error when trying to log in remotely, but start page views perfectly RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem here.... I have my own domain http://www."mydomain".com. I have set my IP up with this domain. My ip is static as long as I dont restart modem. On my modem i have set all external connections on my ip on port 80 to be forwarded to 10.0.0.9 port 80

I know that you cannot connect to your own WHS with external adress internally, so i get my friends to connect to mydomain. They are able to connect and gets the WHS "homepage" with a login button at the top. When they press logon they get a 403 or unable to connect etc.. How is that possible? When you are in, you are in (or so i thought)

If i connect locally to \\server or 10.0.0.9 i get homepage and login..

Any soloutions?

Saturday, March 3, 2007 2:39 PM

Answers

• You need to forward three ports to your WHS.
    • 80/HTTP. (This one is optional, but makes the initial handshake easier. I don't forward it, but YMMV.)
    • 443/SSL. This one is required to be able to log in. I think this is the source of your problem.
    • 4125. This is the port used for the Remote Access feature.
    You might also have to forward 3389.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 3:46 PM

All replies

• You need to forward three ports to your WHS.
    • 80/HTTP. (This one is optional, but makes the initial handshake easier. I don't forward it, but YMMV.)
    • 443/SSL. This one is required to be able to log in. I think this is the source of your problem.
    • 4125. This is the port used for the Remote Access feature.
    You might also have to forward 3389.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 3:46 PM
  • I'm not so good at this port forwarding, but i understand what I am told :p.. But how is it... All requests on "myip":443 should be forwarded to 10.0.0.9:80 and the same with all other ports you mentioned?
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 3:56 PM
  • No Ken was referring to adding port forwarding rules in your router/modem to point to the internal ip of you WHS. The login side uses HTTPS (port 443) and if you want to be able to use remote desktop you will have to forward port 4125 as well.

Let us know how you get on.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 8:54 PM
  •  Pady wrote:
    No Ken was referring to adding port forwarding rules in your router/modem to point to the internal ip of you WHS. The login side uses HTTPS (port 443) and if you want to be able to use remote desktop you will have to forward port 4125 as well.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for the clarification!

Note that you may not be able to get remote desktop working. There are ISPs who block some (or many) ports. Often they block incoming traffic on ports that normally carry protocols used for business purposes, on the theory that home users should not be using those ports. 3389 (remote desktop) is one such commonly blocked port. Ports not widely used for anything are also likely targets (4125).

I'm currently wrangling with my ISP about this...
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 9:11 PM
  • I understand what you guys are telling me. But on my modem I have to set "inside ip: port" and "outside ip:port". None of these parameters can be left empty.. so these ports you are mentioning, are those for outside ip right?  I'm not sure what ports the server run on.... I also can choose between tcp and udp on every rule. Please tell me exactly what to write

And yes, I do have problems adding those ports to a rule, maybe because of blocking.. Please say what to set on inside and outside port, and what shall I do if those ports are blocked? Nothing to do I suppose :( 

Saturday, March 3, 2007 9:42 PM
  •  k4ke wrote:

I understand what you guys are telling me. But on my modem I have to set "inside ip: port" and "outside ip:port". None of these parameters can be left empty.. so these ports you are mentioning, are those for outside ip right?  I'm not sure what ports the server run on.... I also can choose between tcp and udp on every rule. Please tell me exactly what to write

And yes, I do have problems adding those ports to a rule, maybe because of blocking.. Please say what to set on inside and outside port, and what shall I do if those ports are blocked? Nothing to do I suppose :( 

use the same port number for external and internal - select tcp

Monday, March 5, 2007 8:59 PM